is there a way to like a song on last.fm through workflow?

I'd like to 'love' the song currently playing on iTunes or Spotify on my last.fm, is there a workflow for that? Or a method to create one? I thought maybe this can be done by accessing the last.fm API or somehow controlling the Last.fm Scobbler.app?

Edited by wildog

I don't know anything about Spotify, but this is certainly possible with iTunes. Alfred can grab the current track from iTunes and send it along to Last.fm for the rest of the processing.

The only slight complication is that this requires setting up authorization in order to properly use the correct API call from Last.fm. In any event, I would take a look at: Last.fm API: track.love. There seems to be pretty simple directions on the authorization part, here.

I've seen folks around here use various methods for web service authorization in the past; I'm sure a few searches would set you in the right direction.

I don't know anything about Spotify, but this is certainly possible with iTunes. Alfred can grab the current track from iTunes and send it along to Last.fm for the rest of the processing.

The only slight complication is that this requires setting up authorization in order to properly use the correct API call from Last.fm. In any event, I would take a look at: Last.fm API: track.love. There seems to be pretty simple directions on the authorization part, here.

I've seen folks around here use various methods for web service authorization in the past; I'm sure a few searches would set you in the right direction.

many thanks! I was thinking about doing this without API since the Scrobbler app can log the loved track from iTunes or Spotify or other players to last.fm, the scrobbler just needs a global hotkey for that! maybe somehow I can control the scrobbler with Alfred to love a song in the background.... Anyway, I would try to use API to do that for now. And thanks again!

Edited by wildog

Actually, looking at the official Scrobbler App there's a menu item for "Love", which means you should probably be able to do this without Alfred's help at all. It would be super simple if this app can already see both iTunes and Spotify.

Check this link out: 

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph3957

Not sure if the app gives any nice feedback like you could have Alfred do for you, though. You may prefer to set up a hotkey in Alfred to perform the menu button action, and then have Alfred kick out a notification window as icing on the cake. :-)