show specific folder

sschat

Hi!

i am rather new to Alfred, and just discovering the possibilities with it.

I have the following 'workflow' idea:

i would like to browse a specific folder (eg 'Downloads')

and i want Alfred to show the content, 

order by 'most recent' as top of the list

For simplicity, it might just be a single 'keyword' setup for one directory: eg "dl" -> Alfred provides the content of this directory, sorted

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Hi!

i am rather new to Alfred, and just discovering the possibilities with it.

I have the following 'workflow' idea:

i would like to browse a specific folder (eg 'Downloads')

and i want Alfred to show the content, 

order by 'most recent' as top of the list

For simplicity, it might just be a single 'keyword' setup for one directory: eg "dl" -> Alfred provides the content of this directory, sorted

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Yep, things like this are definitely possible with the Powerpack - if you could fill your Powerpack email address in on the forum profile (only visible to me and Vero), then somebody can help you further with this! :)

Cheers,

Andrew

I like this idea :)

My idea was I type Bills, hit Enter and it's opening my folder "Bills"

an suggestions about how to do it ?

If you open Alfred and press the [spacebar] to enter file search mode, then type bills... when you find your bills folder, use cmd+down to view the files in that folder :)

oke, email added. Cheers!

Do i need to use some 'scripting' for this? 

eg use the unix 'ls -lr' command?

The most basic way to do this would be a keyword wired into a 'browse in Alfred', but this doesn't currently have the flexibility to sort by date, just alphabetically... but you can type to dynamically search the presented list of files. Here is an example workflow for this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6749767/Alfred/Workflows/Browse%20Folders.alfredworkflow

I have a ticket for improvement to make this list dynamically sortable too, which should make this work exactly as you want.

Alternatively, you could create a more complex workflow which reads the folder contents, sorts and gives you a list back - this would require a script filter action instead. It might be worth popping a request in the workflow help forum and somebody may be able to help point you in the right direction for this.

Cheers,

Andrew

Yes, thanks Andrew!

i might get myself more into 'Applescript' to get some more sexy workflows going.

edit: i guess Applescript might as well be just 'php'scripting... a bit faster to get myself going here

Edited by sschat