Mac in Windows Environment - directory url's

I have been using Alfred just as a finder but seems I am missing out on it's power. I work in a windows environment but like using my mac. One thing I need to do daily is take a windows path and copy and paste it to open a document. I can not do that with my mac.

I am connected to the windows network and have mounted the domain using the SMB:/path process. 

For example I want to be able to paste something like N:\Mulit-Departmental Shares\IT Projects\Active Projects\test.doc in my finder and open the documnet but the windows drive does not get mounted  like that. It is almost reversed like so //Mulit-Departmental Shares/IT Project/Active Projects/test.doc

Is there something that can be written to do this in alfred so I could paste the windows path in and have it know where I want to go 

Hope all that made sense.

Bill

I have been using Alfred just as a finder but seems I am missing out on it's power. I work in a windows environment but like using my mac. One thing I need to do daily is take a windows path and copy and paste it to open a document. I can not do that with my mac.

I am connected to the windows network and have mounted the domain using the SMB:/path process. 

For example I want to be able to paste something like N:\Mulit-Departmental Shares\IT Projects\Active Projects\test.doc in my finder and open the documnet but the windows drive does not get mounted  like that. It is almost reversed like so //Mulit-Departmental Shares/IT Project/Active Projects/test.doc

Is there something that can be written to do this in alfred so I could paste the windows path in and have it know where I want to go 

Hope all that made sense.

Bill

Something like this work? Depending on your actual path you may need to edit it slightly but based on your request, it should work.

Workflow is based off similar workflow created by ctwise and shared here.

Okay so I bought the power pack and I have never used these workflows with alfred. Are you familiar with the one you gave me.. I am not sure what to actually do to use it. I see you have to assign a hot key which I did but not sure if I need to do anything else..

So lets say I have a windows path how do I take that and send through this workflow to convert to mac and open

Okay so I bought the power pack and I have never used these workflows with alfred. Are you familiar with the one you gave me.. I am not sure what to actually do to use it. I see you have to assign a hot key which I did but not sure if I need to do anything else..

So lets say I have a windows path how do I take that and send through this workflow to convert to mac and open

Oh sorry.

Select a windows path (don't have to copy it, just select/highlight it) and press the hotkey that you assigned. It should convert it to a network path and have that available in the clipboard for you to paste wherever you want

I must be doing something wrong. I selected this

\\Corpclusterdfs\Mulit-Departmental Shares\IT Projects\Enhancement - PIW Projects\PIW- Workbrain & SCM\Release 2\WB\3-Other\Production Control\Production Control and Support Turnover - Workbrain Release 2.pptx

hit my hot key and this is what I got in my clipboard.

\\

Is there a way for it to also open the path?

I must be doing something wrong. I selected this

\\Corpclusterdfs\Mulit-Departmental Shares\IT Projects\Enhancement - PIW Projects\PIW- Workbrain & SCM\Release 2\WB\3-Other\Production Control\Production Control and Support Turnover - Workbrain Release 2.pptx

hit my hot key and this is what I got in my clipboard.

\\

Is there a way for it to also open the path?

When you originally asked for the workflow, you requested that it take a Windows path (N:\Mulit-Departmental Shares\IT Projects\Active Projects\test.doc) and convert that to a network path. So, yeah I would expect it to return something weird if you didn't pass it a windows path. It removed the drive letter and colon and replaced \ with /. That's what the workflow does.

You CAN make it open the file afterward. We would just need to add another item to the workflow to make it open the new path after it converted it.  

• 2 months later...

How do i need to modify the workflow to work with such url's: \\Srv0015\something\somethingelse\02_something\

to convert to mac forward slashes with smb:// in front? (smb://Srv005/something/somethingelse/02_something)

path = "{query}"
unc = ""

parts = path.split(':\\')
parts.delete_at(0)
unc = parts.join('/')

print "\\\\#{unc}"

thanks!

Edited by Chalkin

How do i need to modify the workflow to work with such url's: \\Srv0015\something\somethingelse\02_something\

to convert to mac forward slashes with smb:// in front? (smb://Srv005/something/somethingelse/02_something)

path = "{query}"
unc = ""

parts = path.split(':\\')
parts.delete_at(0)
unc = parts.join('/')

print "\\\\#{unc}"

thanks!

I think this should work..

path = {query}
sep = '\\'
blah = path.split(sep)
blah.pop(0)