Search LaTeX documentation with Alfred

dpo

I'm using Alfred v2 on Mavericks. I would like to use it to quickly locate documentation of LaTeX packages (PDF files). I have TeXLive 2014 installed in /usr/local/texlive/2014. I added /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/doc/latex to Alfred's search scope, but I'm not having any success. I tried searching using open and the backtick (file search) to no avail. I tried rebuilding the OSX metadata, but not joy there either. The locate command-line utility quickly finds the files in question, e.g.:

$ locate thmtools.pdf /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/doc/latex/thmtools/thmtools.pdf

I should add that Spotlight can't find the files either. Is it a matter of permissions?

$ ll /usr/local/texlive/ total 0 drwxr-xr-x 20 root wheel 680B Sep 21 11:51 2014

Thanks for any hint!

I'm using Alfred v2 on Mavericks. I would like to use it to quickly locate documentation of LaTeX packages (PDF files). I have TeXLive 2014 installed in /usr/local/texlive/2014. I added /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/doc/latex to Alfred's search scope, but I'm not having any success. I tried searching using open and the backtick (file search) to no avail. I tried rebuilding the OSX metadata, but not joy there either. The locate command-line utility quickly finds the files in question, e.g.:

$ locate thmtools.pdf /usr/local/texlive/2014/texmf-dist/doc/latex/thmtools/thmtools.pdf

I should add that Spotlight can't find the files either. Is it a matter of permissions?

$ ll /usr/local/texlive/ total 0 drwxr-xr-x 20 root wheel 680B Sep 21 11:51 2014

Thanks for any hint!

Because of the location of these files, they may not show up just by adding them to the regular search scope. Try creating a File Filter workflow instead. Set the search scope to the previously mentioned folder, and make sure that you tick the option to "Show files marked as System File". If there are only certain file types that you would like to be shown in the result, set them in the file types area. Let me know how this works out

Alfred piggybacks off of Spotlight's metadata. Creating workflows can get around that, but if you don't have the Powerpack, then you can't create/install the workflow, so your only option is to get Spotlight to index that directory. Alfred should be able to find it if Spotlight can.