Context set via Modifier Keys (Alt, Ctl, Shift, combo thereof, etc.)

While I'm ambivalent about application menus that change their contents based on having certain keys held down, one idea I had was that it would be neat if the default action taken on the selected item could be adjusted via holding down a modifier key.

For example, I'm looking for a PDF, but instead of opening it in Acrobat, I want to open it with preview instead. So, I select the file name and hold down alt+enter.

Or, another example: I'm looking for some text file, but then after finding it, decide I want to open the location in Terminal.

I had better examples when the idea first hit me, and I'm not holding out much hope of it being implemented; but, I figured I ought to voice it, just in case.

Annnnd, back to work.

While I'm ambivalent about application menus that change their contents based on having certain keys held down, one idea I had was that it would be neat if the default action taken on the selected item could be adjusted via holding down a modifier key.

For example, I'm looking for a PDF, but instead of opening it in Acrobat, I want to open it with preview instead. So, I select the file name and hold down alt+enter.

Or, another example: I'm looking for some text file, but then after finding it, decide I want to open the location in Terminal.

I had better examples when the idea first hit me, and I'm not holding out much hope of it being implemented; but, I figured I ought to voice it, just in case.

Annnnd, back to work.

I can understand the desire for such things but these things could be easily done with workflows, file actions, etc.

As a side note, you can use hotkeys to do some things with the listed results, see the Advanced tab under Alfred 2 prefs. These actions are limited though.