Option to disable "maintain app focus" feature

Exit42

Hello,

I'd like to request a feature (e.g., a checkbox in the "Advanced" section of the preferences) that allows you to disable the recent feature that keeps the focus on the current application when calling Alfred.

In other words, I'd like a way to keep the old functionality.

The reason is this new feature breaks certain application-specific keyboard shortcuts I have configured (via karabiner). For example, Cmd-H should do something different in Terminal then it does in Alfred. With the addition of this new feature, many of my common keyboard shortcuts are broken.

Thanks for your help. Alfred is an important part of my daily work and play.

Also, I'm hoping this isn't a case of xkcd 1172.

Regards,

Richard

EDIT: typo

Edited by Milo42

Hello,

The reason is this new feature breaks certain application-specific keyboard shortcuts I have configured (via karabiner). For example, Cmd-H should do something different in Terminal then it does in Alfred. With the addition of this new feature, many of my common keyboard shortcuts are broken.

EDIT: typo

Hi there,

The Karabiner dev updated the beta during Alfred's pre-release to support the new focus method - he posted here with info on how to upgrade:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/7080-alfred-272-beta-build-mid-development-testing/?p=38525

Let me know how you get on! :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Perfect, that worked, thanks!

Regards,

Richard

Hi there,

The Karabiner dev updated the beta during Alfred's pre-release to support the new focus method - he posted here with info on how to upgrade:

http://www.alfredforum.com/topic/7080-alfred-272-beta-build-mid-development-testing/?p=38525

Let me know how you get on! :)

Cheers,

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This feature now appears to be causing a problem for snippets in Microsoft Remote Desktop. If I copy a snippet and go directly into MRD, the clipboard is not synced down to the MRD session. However, if I click into another application first (e.g., TextEdit, MacVim..), and click into the MRD session, the clipboard gets synced.

So I suspect the clipboard integration is waiting on an app focus change as a trigger? Something like that?

Any tips you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,

Richard

Hi,

This feature now appears to be causing a problem for snippets in Microsoft Remote Desktop. If I copy a snippet and go directly into MRD, the clipboard is not synced down to the MRD session. However, if I click into another application first (e.g., TextEdit, MacVim..), and click into the MRD session, the clipboard gets synced.

So I suspect the clipboard integration is waiting on an app focus change as a trigger? Something like that?

Any tips you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,

Richard

If you are using the latest version, Alfred 2.8, you can switch Alfred's focus to "Compatibility Mode" in the Appearance > Options prefs. This will make Alfred take focus like previously and should fix these kind of issues :)

Cheers,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing. Thank you so much for this. Grabbing text from Alfred and punching it through Remote Desktop happens dozens of times a day for me, so it means a lot.

Regards,

Richard

If you are using the latest version, Alfred 2.8, you can switch Alfred's focus to "Compatibility Mode" in the Appearance > Options prefs. This will make Alfred take focus like previously and should fix these kind of issues :)

Cheers,

Andrew