Need help - mark all messages read (Mail.app)

Hi All, 

I receive a lot of email notifications in different mailboxes and it's getting annoying to click every mailbox and read-all. So I want to create Alfred workflow which would do this with one action.

I've found this applescript:

tell application "Mail"

set read status of every message of inbox to true

end tell

So this is how my setup looks:

mailapp.jpg

I think I covered everything but it's not working. It finds the action but when confirming it, nothing happens (emails stay unread).

Help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Bump, anyone?

I was testing out the code that you provided and it didn't work, as you said, but... I tweaked it a little to do..

tell application "Mail" to set the read status of every message in every mailbox of every account to true

It appeared to be working but I quit it before it finished because it was taking forever. Give me a little more time to tinker with it and see if I can't speed it up a bit. I'm going to see if I can't just grab a list of all unread messages and set just those to read. Maybe that will be slightly faster.

@David: thanks, that would be great.

@barrettj: fixed, thanks, and will keep that in mind.

Just curious if you tried Pedro's script and it worked for what you were looking for? If it works, it may be easier to use his than trying to reinvent the wheel with a new script. Just keep me in the loop with what you find and need and I'll try to help out.

Thanks

Thanks (I was searching Google not the forum :unsure: ). Downloaded it but I'm not that knowledgeable to be able to decode it and reuse it for my own use. What I've found useful is this command:

osascript getUnread.scpt {query} 

Which "gets" unread mailboxes but I don't have an idea on how to just get messages inside and mark them as read.

Help is appreciated. :)

Edited by D.J.

Thanks (I was searching Google not the forum :unsure: ). Downloaded it but I'm not that knowledgeable to be able to decode it and reuse it for my own use. What I've found useful is this command:

Which "gets" unread mailboxes but I don't have an idea on how to just get messages inside and mark them as read.

If I give you some AppleScript to get you going would that suffice or are you unfamiliar with AppleScript all together?

Nevermind, I decided to just go ahead and bang it out. This is still kinda slow because its having to mark that read status of each message on the server, but it does work.

It grabs a list of all accounts, then a list of all mailboxes that have an unread count higher than 0, then sets all the messages that are unread in those areas to read.

tell application "Mail"
	set allAccounts to the name of every account
	repeat with currAccount in allAccounts
		set unreadMboxes to (every mailbox in account currAccount whose unread count is not 0)
		repeat with currMbox in unreadMboxes
			set (the read status of every message in currMbox whose read status is false) to true
		end repeat
	end repeat
end tell

Enjoy.