Add Finder shortcut app folder to default search locations

iandol

Hi this is very minor. Within /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app there are a set of "shortcut" apps that open the respective Finder features/locations:

5a4ae7b55e84c_ScreenShot2018-01-02at09_58_34.thumb.png.b3c83d169a503be4afe64a081777f5d5.png

It seems this would be a useful addition to the default search locations for Alfred, as it would add iCloud Drive, Recents and other "links" to the standard search results.

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Applications/

Edited by iandol

Actually I added 

/System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Applications

to my Search Scope and it is not populating the search with these apps, it has been at least 5 hours since I added it and I tried a "Clear Application Cache" and restart of Alfred, any ideas?

Edited by iandol

Oh that is a shame, it would be nice if Alfred could override this for explicit single folder locations in the Search Scope . i.e. if you add /Applications then it will certainly not enter the bundles (I understand why it does this), but if you explicitly specify /Applications/Test.app/Contents/MyMagicApps/ then it would scan only that folder? That would enable those useful Finder apps to be useable in Alfred. 

2 hours ago, iandol said:

Alfred could override this for explicit single folder locations in the Search Scope

AFAIK, Alfred can't override the behaviour. That's the way the macOS metadata index works.

2 hours ago, iandol said:

That would enable those useful Finder apps to be useable in Alfred. 

Why don't you create a workflow to launch them? It's a job of 5 minutes.

Actually I don't use them myself, I thought it would be a nice addition to the default search results for new Alfred users who may use Network, iCloud, Recents etc. It isn't possible so no worries!

I had naively assumed that the Search scope was custom built by Alfred (like in Quicksilver); I think what you are saying is that it still uses spotlight metadata then subindexes based on that (and obviously caches that for speed etc, which is why we must be careful adding stuff to Search scope).

5 hours ago, iandol said:

I think what you are saying is that it still uses spotlight metadata then subindexes based on that (and obviously caches that for speed etc, which is why we must be careful adding stuff to Search scope).

Not really, no. Alfred simply makes clever use of macOS's (extremely powerful) search API. It doesn't cache results—the API backend does that itself. AFAIK, the only results cache Alfred maintains is for applications, so it can do its fuzzy-ish search.