Alfred 4 theme looks different

Hello,

I've just did the upgrade  to Alfred 4 and the first thing I've noticed, is that my long time theme looks a bit different. More precisely it's the vertical window padding. The type bar looks much thicker now than it used to. I would like to have it more narrow again and without that much space between font and border.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-31 um 12.33.39.jpg

@Heidern Alfred now correctly provides the space the font needs in macOS (this wasn't correct in Alfred 3), i.e. if you use your theme, and select the typed text with cmd+a, the minimum height of the search box now correctly contains the text selection height macOS demands.

You'll see that macOS has different requirements for different fonts. If you select something like Papyrus, it's very large. If you select something like System or Helvetica, then it's much smaller.

Having said that, make sure the 'vertical search padding' is set as small as possible. 

Cheers,

Andrew

Thanks for the explanation!

However, I don't see what's better in that new behavior. Is it to adapt to some design or typography rules?

I'd like to use this font but without having so much blank space. It's not possible anymore?

@Heidern It means that Alfred can now allow you to pick arbitrary fonts as the fonts are correctly positioned. Before, some fonts (especially non-english ones) would render obscured off the edge of the text input box as Alfred was "guessing" the spacing rather than calculating based on macOS' requirements.

It's a fair point though, I'll add a ticket to look into allowing negative spacing here.