Select All -> copy -> open [folder] -> paste -> compress…

Hello guys,

I am semi old  but quite experienced with Macs (from '86). What I would like to do is as follows—and asking for help:

This relates to Workflows.

===

Open a volume (/PHILIPS)

Select all of the files on it

Copy them

Open a folder on my Mac ~/xxx/Dropbox/zzz

And paste the copied items to that folder

And compress them

I cannot find solutions for »select all» &c.

===

Could any of you comment on this?

Sorry for my silly questions.

Harry Kujari

11 hours ago, hkujari said:

Open a volume (/PHILIPS)

11 hours ago, hkujari said:

~/xxx/Dropbox/zzz

Are these paths always the same, or do you want to choose them during the workflow?

12 hours ago, hkujari said:

I cannot find solutions for »select all» &c.

That's all a bit finicky to do, especially reliably, but fortunately, I think that's an XY problem.

What you actually want to do is put the contents of a volume in a zip file in Dropbox, right? Do you need the files there, too, or just the zip?

Because zipping a volume is a simple shell one-liner: zip -r ~/Dropbox/folder/archive.zip /Volumes/PHILIPS/*

Copying the files over, too, would require a second line.

Deanishe,

Select all files from my dictation machine (a volume [/PHILIPS]. Copy them to a folder (residing on my dropbox folder). Open the target folder. (and, if possible, to detect all files with extension ».dss», compress them. The path from/to always the same.

Regards,

Harry Kujari

14 minutes ago, hkujari said:

Select all files from my dictation machine (a volume [/PHILIPS]. Copy them to a folder (residing on my dropbox folder). Open the target folder. (and, if possible, to detect all files with extension ».dss», compress them.

That's the XY problem again. Please just describe what you are trying to achieve, not how you think it could be done.

The above command I posted will create the zip for you. You just need to adjust the paths for your machine and put it in an Run Script action (Language = /bin/bash).

Is that not sufficient? Your description isn't very detailed. Are there also files that don't have the extension .dss?

Deanishe,

Thank you for your comments. All files on /PHILIPS are »xxxx.dss». So that poses no problem. I will try with the script you generously suggested. I problems arise, I might be given permission to return to the issue. If all works fine, I will return in form of thanking you.

Harry Kujari