TimeZones workflow

I mainly created this to learn how use Python but if you find it useful it's a win.

Usage

Open the Alfred search bar and type `t` then add the time you wish to convert. You can use either 12 or 24 hour time.

examples:

`t 1:30am gmt` or `t 1:30 gmt`

`t 10:00pm pst` or `t 21:00 pst`

list all timezones

to view all timezones, just type `t list` in the Alfred search bar.

Preferences

You can set your preferred timezone(s) by editing the `preferences.json` file.

There are two keys in the file: `timezones_to_display` and `available_timezones`.

• `timezones_to_display` is a list of timezones that will display in the results. They will be displayed in the order specified.
  • `available_timezones` is a list of timezones that are available to be set as the preferred timezones.

Link to the repo:

https://github.com/damongolding/alfred-timezones

Edited by Un4given
format update

Welcome @Un4given,

Your GitHub repo contains Python code, but the Workflow itself contains and runs a binary. Its signature is adhoc, so it won’t run on other users’ machines without showing the macOS prompt about it being potentially unsafe. Plus, it’s only compiled for x86_64 so it won’t run on Apple Silicon without Rosetta. And it looks like you may be shipping a whole Python distribution with the Workflow? That considerably increases its size.

To solve all of those, you can instead call the original script via python3. If the user already has it it will work immediately, but if they don’t macOS will allow them to install it in two clicks.

On 3/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, vitor said:

Welcome @Un4given,

Your GitHub repo contains Python code, but the Workflow itself contains and runs a binary. Its signature is adhoc, so it won’t run on other users’ machines without showing the macOS prompt about it being potentially unsafe. Plus, it’s only compiled for x86_64 so it won’t run on Apple Silicon without Rosetta. And it looks like you may be shipping a whole Python distribution with the Workflow? That considerably increases its size.

To solve all of those, you can instead call the original script via python3. If the user already has it it will work immediately, but if they don’t macOS will allow them to install it in two clicks.

Hey Vitor,

Thanks for the advice 👍

I was trying to avoid the whole "I don't have xxx on my machine" but it seem I got it completely wrong lol.

Seems I still have some learning to do 💪