Best scripting option for distributing workflows

My continuing Hugo workflow is going to require me to write some code for a Script Filter. It just needs to get a list of the files in a directory.

I can do it easily enough in Node but I suspect that not a lot of people have the installed already? So is Python more accessible for people? 

1 hour ago, pixelgeek said:

So is Python more accessible for people?

In general yes, since it can be installed directly by macOS via the Developer Tools. But in that sense /usr/bin/osascript (JavaScript) is even better because it’a always there, though some operations may require the Objective-C bridge (having access to it is a plus).

In practice, with the Gallery’s dependency resolution any language is fine and can be installed without hassle.

20 minutes ago, vitor said:

In practice, with the Gallery’s dependency resolution any language is fine and can be installed without hassle.

I know that. I just don't want to inflict Node on anyone if I can avoid it. 

20 minutes ago, vitor said:

In general yes, since it can be installed directly by macOS via the Developer Tools.

Does that install v3 now or is it still v2?

Just now, pixelgeek said:

Does that install v3 now or is it still v2?

It has always installed Python 3. Python 2 was just the one that shipped by default. Both can coexist as they’re different binaries (python VS python3; the 3 is really part of the name). The exact version varies by macOS version and is a few behind the latest upstream (perhaps for stability/security). On Monterey it was Python 3.8.9, on Ventura it’s 3.9.6. You can always determine the version with /usr/bin/python3 --version.