Alfred Preferences - transition to new computer

Jan-20-2024

I had a major internal hard drive failure on my iMac27 in July 2023

For that iMac27 I have a Time Machine backup in Mar 2023 and a boot backup Dec-2022

At the time of the "crash" I was using Alfred 4.5.1 (Powerpack) and had over time created workflows and snippets

I have just acquired a new Mac computer and after trying to migrate all my data from the Time Machine backup to the new Mac this created all sorts of issues with the result Apple Support suggested I do a clean install, I agreed reluctantly.

So yesterday I installed on my new Mac Alfred Ver 5 and Powerpack.

But, I think I need my Alfred Preferences from my 4.5.1 version to see the custom things I had created; since this is all "foreign" to me I am looking for help.

Can anyone advise if what I am looking for, having my Alfred V5 operate like I last used Alfred V4.5.1, possible

Are there files that have to be copied  from my Time Machine Backup that are required.

Don J J Carroll

What you need to do is to retrieve your old Alfred.alfredpreferences file from your old Time Machine backup and copy it over your existing Alfred.alfredpreferences file on your new machin (assuming you've not yet created any unique workflows on your new machine).

You will probably find your old preferences file in ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/  and if you've not set up any specific location for Alfred's preferences on your new machine you should be able to find the file to ovewrite in the same location on your new machine.

Please note this Alfred help page: the link to which explains which settings will not carry over in the preferences file.

Stephen