Trigger Workflow on File Save

I've played for about 10 minutes and am wondering about the limitations of Alfred's Workflow's

There are some files that I would like to have converted to pdf's and then copied to another folder everytime they're saved. If that's not possible at least once a day.

Premise - I build a lot of training materials as part of my work. Anyone who has ever attended my courses is entitled to automatic updates of the material. I would like to the material (word docs and keynote files) converted to pdf and moved to my dropbox after every save. Or once a day.

Is that possible?

Cheers

Mark

I think a Folder Action would better suit your needs to convert a document to PDF and move it to your dropbox folder.

Basically you could also use a Folder Action to invoke a specific Alfred Workflow:

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
    tell application "Finder"
        repeat with i from 1 to number of items in these_items
            set this_item to item i of these_items
            set the path_string to this_item as string
            set the final_path to POSIX path of the path_string
            tell application "Alfred 2" to search "<workflow keyword> " & final_path
        end repeat
    end tell
end adding folder items to

I've played for about 10 minutes and am wondering about the limitations of Alfred's Workflow's

There are some files that I would like to have converted to pdf's and then copied to another folder everytime they're saved. If that's not possible at least once a day.

Premise - I build a lot of training materials as part of my work. Anyone who has ever attended my courses is entitled to automatic updates of the material. I would like to the material (word docs and keynote files) converted to pdf and moved to my dropbox after every save. Or once a day.

Is that possible?

Cheers

Mark

I think a Folder Action would better suit your needs to convert a document to PDF and move it to your dropbox folder.

Basically you could also use a Folder Action to invoke a specific Alfred Workflow:

on adding folder items to this_folder after receiving these_items
    tell application "Finder"
        repeat with i from 1 to number of items in these_items
            set this_item to item i of these_items
            set the path_string to this_item as string
            set the final_path to POSIX path of the path_string
            tell application "Alfred 2" to search "<workflow keyword> " & final_path
        end repeat
    end tell
end adding folder items to

Hazel would be another good option

As David said, Hazel is the way to go because you want this done automatically. Alfred2 can do so much, but it's a tool that requires manual invocation. Hazel is setup to run actions on system events (like saving a file — or on a timer). You might have to write an applescript or do something with automator to make it work. I don't really remember how Hazel works well enough off the top of my head.

I had seen Hazel already but was trying to see if I could pull this off easily without installing another tool on my Mac. After all really why would I want any RAM left over :-)

Seriously I didn't see a way to do it already. With enough digging I could always use the builtin Mac Automator and perhaps I will be that pig-headed just for fun :-)

Thanks for the help.

Mark