Open recent url in different browser using "Open with…" action

drfrot

Is there a way of opening url results with an alternative browser (e.g. Chrome) from my default (Safari), using the "Open with…" action?

At the moment, if I search for something that's a url (not actually typing the full url in), find the result I want in the list of Alfred suggestions, invoke the Actions menu and select "Open with…" and then "Chrome", the result will be that Chrome.app will open, but it will simply download the url as a bookmark from the ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks/ folder.

Now it's cool that Alfred is *finding* these urls in that folder, but is there a way to launch them as a page in Chrome, rather than downloading the bookmark? Or am I looking at a workflow to do this?

Thanks

Giles

Is there a way of opening url results with an alternative browser (e.g. Chrome) from my default (Safari), using the "Open with…" action?

At the moment, if I search for something that's a url (not actually typing the full url in), find the result I want in the list of Alfred suggestions, invoke the Actions menu and select "Open with…" and then "Chrome", the result will be that Chrome.app will open, but it will simply download the url as a bookmark from the ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/Safari/Bookmarks/ folder.

Now it's cool that Alfred is *finding* these urls in that folder, but is there a way to launch them as a page in Chrome, rather than downloading the bookmark? Or am I looking at a workflow to do this?

Thanks

Giles

I think you're looking at a workflow for this. The results you are seeing and opening are items that are in Safari's bookmarks or history, saved as files on your machine. Chrome doesn't know what to do with those files so instead of opening them, it downloads them. To open a URL with an alternate browser, you'd need a workflow.

• 1 month later...

Nice one, thanks! I also found a workflow that does similar for a pre-specified URL (i.e. one that I know I'll need to always open in Chrome because it uses flash). For that one I can just type my keyword, and without argument, it'll just open in Chrome on the press of return. Sweet!