Hotkey for creating new Email - Workflow?

Hey there, first of all, I love Alfred! It's made working so much easier.

I'm always trying to get even more out of it, so now I would like to ask if my desired workflow is even possible.

I'm using the app Airmail to check and write my Emails. So what I would like to have is a hotkey like CMD+Y to start writing a new Email, without having to launch the app first. 

Can something like this be done? 

Thanks in advance! :)

I think this should be pretty easy to do in a workflow (he says after he spent the last three hours learning this stuff). All you need to do is create a workflow that has a hotkey and a script. Set the script to use osascript and enter in the following. As I don't have Airmail installed, you may have to change the name in the first line. The keycode below represents CMD+N. If that is not the hotkey for a new message in Airmail, just download Key Codes and type in the correct hotkey to get the numerical representation of the hotkey : http://manytricks.com/keycodes/

tell application "Airmail"
    activate
    tell application "System Events" to key code 45 using command down
end tell

I hope this helps.

Dan

Hey there, first of all, I love Alfred! It's made working so much easier.

I'm always trying to get even more out of it, so now I would like to ask if my desired workflow is even possible.

I'm using the app Airmail to check and write my Emails. So what I would like to have is a hotkey like CMD+Y to start writing a new Email, without having to launch the app first. 

Can something like this be done? 

Thanks in advance! :)

This COULD be done with Alfred but Airmail actually has this built in as well. If you go to Airmail's preferences, go to the Interaction settings, and then there should be an area toward the bottom that will allow you to set a global "New Message" hotkey

If you still want to do it in Alfred though, you could create a workflow that would run an applescript that executed the code below

set theMessage to (make new outgoing message)
	tell theMessage to compose
	activate
end tell

This COULD be done with Alfred but Airmail actually has this built in as well. If you go to Airmail's preferences, go to the Interaction settings, and then there should be an area toward the bottom that will allow you to set a global "New Message" hotkey

If you still want to do it in Alfred though, you could create a workflow that would run an applescript that executed the code below

set theMessage to (make new outgoing message)
	tell theMessage to compose
	activate
end tell

Alright, thanks a lot man! Highly appreciate it! :)

Edit: I can't get it working. Do I have to create a blank workflow and then add an NSAppleScript and make a hotkey for it? I have really no idea what I'm doing. 

Can you help me out? 

Edited by indielectrock