Default search no longer showing user-defined file types

Hi,

Something seems recently to have broken my default file search.

Everything worked fine until last week; I haven't changed any aspect of my configuration since.

In "Default Results", under "Advanced...", I have "com.adobe.pdf" as a user-defined file type.

I also have "Include folders in Home" selected.

In the default results, Alfred fails to find any pdf in my home directory.

If I precede with ' or with open, then Alfred finds such files.

However, if I open a pdf file in my home directory from Alfred, or even from Finder, it subsequently DOES show up in the default results.

If I try adding a new file type (say Word document) under "Advanced..." then Alfred fails to find those too.

If I select "Documents" from "Extras" under "Default results" the files are still not found.

If I select "Search all file types", then the files are found.

Spotlight can find the files. Rebuilding the Spotlight index has no effect.

I have Alfred 2.7.1 (387) and OS X 10.10.3.

Thanks for any assistance

Richard

Edited by rhgg2

Hi,

Something seems recently to have broken my default file search.

Everything worked fine until last week; I haven't changed any aspect of my configuration since.

Hi Richard,

This should work as expected - I've just re-tested to ensure everything works normally using your example, and it's working fine so I'm sure it'll be something simple :)

First, could you please launch Alfred's preferences to the Advanced tab, and click "Rebuild OS X Metadata". Be sure to check the box for "Delete /.Spotlight-V100" as well to allow your OS X index to be restarted from scratch.

You should see the message "Indexing enabled" after typing your password. If you see the message "Spotlight server is disabled" or a similar message, please let me know.

Rebuilding your index can take up to an hour, during which time the Spotlight and Alfred indexes will be incomplete. Once this completes, please type "reload" into Alfred to ensure the cache is fully up to date.

If you're still unable to find your PDF files, please download the metadata tool below and drag one of your files in:

http://cachefly.alfredapp.com/tools/AlfredMetadataTool_v1.1.zip

Paste the results of the metadata in here so that I can take a look and help you out further :)

Cheers,

Vero

[Note: Moving this thread to Discussion & Help]

Very good! I had already tried rebuilding the index from the terminal, but apparently needed to delete /.Spotlight-V100 as well; having done so, that seems to have fixed things.

Thanks a lot,

Richard

Fantastic, glad you're all sorted now :) Enjoy!

Vero