Spotlight / alfred / evernote question

Hi guys,

I just started using alfred yesterday and I like it a lot! there's one thing that I'm not sure why is not working as I would expect.

If i got it right alfred uses spotlight "data" to search files in the compuer, but if I search through spotlight I'm seeing evernote notes as result of the search too. Instead in alfred they are not showing up.

I saw and i already tried the evernote workflow posted in the forum, it is working great;  just wanted to know if I can have the same result as in spotlight (so that i would be able to search through evernote notes and other files within a single search if I need it.

Thanks

Simone

Hi guys,

I just started using alfred yesterday and I like it a lot! there's one thing that I'm not sure why is not working as I would expect.

If i got it right alfred uses spotlight "data" to search files in the compuer, but if I search through spotlight I'm seeing evernote notes as result of the search too. Instead in alfred they are not showing up.

I saw and i already tried the evernote workflow posted in the forum, it is working great;  just wanted to know if I can have the same result as in spotlight (so that i would be able to search through evernote notes and other files within a single search if I need it.

Thanks

Simone

Hi Simone,

This should be possible by adding the path for your Evernote notes to Alfred's default search scope. This will differ depending on whether you're using the Evernote version from the Mac App Store or the version available directly from their website.

From their website:

~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote

From the Mac App Store: (I believe this is it but I'm not using this version so I'm not 100% sure it hasn't changed)

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote 

Once you've added this, prefix your search in Alfred with pressing the spacebar to search for a broader range of file types and you should see your Evernote notes included :) 

Let me know how you get on!

Cheers,
Vero

Hi Vero, 

thanks for the answer, I tried what you suggested me (adding "com.evernote...." in the scope) but it keeps behaving the same way,

Through alfred search I can't see any evernote note even if I try with "find" or "in"; instead in spotlight they are showing up, spotlight is even finding notes if I query the word I used for tagging them. It's strange, isn't it? I think alfred should be able to get the same spotlight results. I tried restarting the mac but it didn't change it.

By the way I'm on mac osx 10.10.5

Hi Vero, 

thanks for the answer, I tried what you suggested me (adding "com.evernote...." in the scope) but it keeps behaving the same way,

Through alfred search I can't see any evernote note even if I try with "find" or "in"; instead in spotlight they are showing up, spotlight is even finding notes if I query the word I used for tagging them. It's strange, isn't it? I think alfred should be able to get the same spotlight results. I tried restarting the mac but it didn't change it.

By the way I'm on mac osx 10.10.5

On testing out further, turns out there is another possible scope for the Evernote data, which is

~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote

It all depends on which version of Evernote you're using, and possibly which version of OS X too, and it seems that Evernote messily leaves data from old versions in various locations - so it's no surprise it was tricky to find the right one :)

I've created a workflow for you that's significantly simpler than the big popular Evernote workflow; Type "en" to search for Evernote notes, and feel free to modify it and add other file types or scopes to it to make yourself a tidy file search that includes Evernote notes.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5818788/Alfred/Evernote%20Simple%20Search.alfredworkflow

Cheers,

Vero

Hey Vero, thanks a lot, I added the locations you used in the workflow to the search scope and it is now working fine, evernote notes appear in every search!

Yes evernote's database structure it's not super clear. In my case it seems that part of the notes are in ~/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote and another part in ~/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote..  by the way adding this last location to the scope fixed also the notes in the first one (that were not appearing even if already in search scope) and it seems that all notes are showing up correctly in searches

Thanks!