Unicode input to python script

I'm trying to pass in a character like γ into a python script through alfred, (as well as use it as a dict key within that script). 

I keep getting the error 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xce in position 0: ordinal not in range(128).

Does anyone know what this is about, or how I can achieve unicode character input into a python script?

I know the topic backwards, forwards and sideways, but I'm not psychic and can't debug code I haven't seen.

http://www.deanishe.net/alfred-workflow/user-manual/text-encoding.html

It's very general, but that's the best you're going to get without posting your code that's causing the issue.

You might even be using Python 3 for all I know. Which would change all the answers compared to Python 2.

Edited by deanishe

I know the topic backwards, forwards and sideways, but I'm not psychic and can't debug code I haven't seen.

http://www.deanishe.net/alfred-workflow/user-manual/text-encoding.html

It's very general, but that's the best you're going to get without posting your code that's causing the issue.

You might even be using Python 3 for all I know. Which would change all the answers compared to Python 2.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using python 2, very rough/working code is below. I'm working on a calculator/expression parser for alfred that uses sympy's parse_expr. I'm passing in arguments with a bash script as in 'python myscript.py "{query}"'. The dictionary 'var_dict' that holds the unicode characters in the script is for defining custom vars in sympy, so if I pass in 'γ' to alfred, (then going through "{query}" in the previous manner), it would recognize that as 1.4. This works when i pass in ascii chars, but not unicode ones.

I probably don't need docopt here, but I've found it fun to use.

'''calculate.py [args]
Usage:
    calculate.py <query>

Options:
    -h'''

from sympy.parsing.sympy_parser import (parse_expr,standard_transformations,
                                        convert_xor,implicit_multiplication_application,
                                        split_symbols_custom,_token_splittable,TokenError)
import sympy
from sympy import N,SympifyError
from workflow import Workflow
import sys
import re
#reload(sys)
#sys.setdefaultencoding('UTF8')

# sympy.cosd = lambda x : sympy.cos( sympy.mpmath.radians(x) )
# sympy.sind = lambda x : sympy.sin( sympy.mpmath.radians(x) )
sympy.cosd = lambda x : sympy.cos( sympy.mpmath.radians(x) )
sympy.sind = lambda x : sympy.sin( sympy.mpmath.radians(x) )
sympy.tand = lambda x : sympy.tan( sympy.mpmath.radians(x) )

var_dict={u'R':287,u'gamma':1.4,u'gammae':1.3,u'γ':1.4,u'g':9.81}

def can_split(symbol):
    if symbol not in (var_dict.keys()):
        return _token_splittable(symbol)
    return False

transformation=split_symbols_custom(can_split)
transformations = (standard_transformations +(transformation,convert_xor,implicit_multiplication_application))

def main(wf):
    from docopt import docopt
    args = docopt(__doc__,wf.args)
    query=args.get('<query>').decode('UTF-8')

with open('history.txt') as historyFile:
         historyList=historyFile.read().splitlines()

history=[tuple(x.split(',')) for x in historyList[::-1]]

if 'v:' in query:

quer=re.compile(query.split('v:')[1],re.IGNORECASE)
        ordered=sorted(var_dict.keys(), key=lambda s: s.lower())
        for i in ordered:
            if quer.search(i) or quer.search(str(var_dict[i])):
                wf.add_item(i,
                            unicode(var_dict[i]),
                            autocomplete=query.split('v:')[0]+i)
        wf.send_feedback()
        return 0
    elif 'h:' in query:
        quer=re.compile(query.split('h:')[1],re.IGNORECASE)
        for i in history:
            if quer.search(i[0]) or quer.search(i[1]):
                wf.add_item(i[0],
                            i[1],
                            icon='history.png',
                            autocomplete=query.split('h:')[0]+i[0])
        wf.send_feedback()
        return 0

try:
        parsed=parse_expr(query,local_dict=var_dict,transformations=transformations)
        result=unicode(N(parsed).round(10))

except TypeError:
        try:
            parsed=parse_expr(query,local_dict=var_dict,transformations=transformations)
            result=unicode(N(parsed))
        except TypeError:
            result=u'...'

except (TokenError,SyntaxError,SympifyError):
        result=u'...'

#parsed=query

result=result.replace('**','^')
    #parsed=(unicode(parsed).replace('**','^') if unicode(parsed)[0:2]!='0-' else unicode(parsed)[1:].replace('**','^'))
    query=(unicode(query) if unicode(query)!='0-' else unicode(query[1:]))
    wf.add_item(result,
                query,
                arg=result+','+query,
                icon='rightarrow.png',
                valid=True,
                largetext=result)

for i in history:
        wf.add_item(i[0],
                    i[1],
                    autocomplete=i[1],
                    icon='history.png')
    wf.send_feedback()

if __name__==u"__main__":
    wf=Workflow()
    sys.exit(wf.run(main))

Edited by therockmandolinist

Can you edit your post to indent the code properly? It's Python, so indentation matters and the code as you've posted it is invalid.

Also, you're getting a line number in your traceback, so could you post it?

On top of that, the input (if there is any), the expected output and the actual output.

If I can't replicate the issue, it's usually almost impossible to fix.

A couple of things that I can discern from the unindented code:

• Calling docopt with wf.args can lead to issues (though mostly when multiple arguments are permitted, IIRC). Docopt expects the raw, encoded-string arguments, not the Unicode objects in wf.args. That shouldn't be a problem here, but you're trying to decode a Unicode object with query=args.get('<query>').decode('UTF-8'). That's incorrect if you're passing wf.args to docopt. args.get('<query>') already returns a normalised Unicode string. It's also a better idea to use wf.decode() than str.decode('utf-8') because wf.decode() will also normalise the Unicode. Fundamentally with docopt, you should call docopt first and wf.decode() on the results.
  • history contains encoded strings, not Unicode. Right there, anything from history is a potentially non-ASCII timebomb waiting to blow up. It should be: historyList = wf.decode(historyFile.read()).splitlines()
Edited by deanishe

You can't use γ as a dictionary key in your script because you haven't specified an encoding, therefore Python treats it as ASCII.

Put

# encoding: utf-8

at the top of the script.

Other than that, I don't see any obvious issues other than the ones mentioned above.

You can't use γ as a dictionary key in your script because you haven't specified an encoding, therefore Python treats it as ASCII.

Put

# encoding: utf-8

at the top of the script.

Other than that, I don't see any obvious issues other than the ones mentioned above.

Thanks for all the advice - it's always appreciated. Your suggestions did actually clear up a couple of my initial issues, but I then found that getting sympy's parse_expr function to recognize unicode characters in python 2 (esp. as custom var names) is not really optimal/easily possible, so for now I'm just handling it with a substitution on input to that function and then re-substitution after output (replacing 'γ' with 'gamma' and back again). Sorta gives me more peace of mind that way anyway, no funky stuff.

Thanks again for the help!