Alfred Trouble Finding Long Filenames?

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Alfred to find lengthy filenames. I'm wondering if this is a limitation of OS X or Alfred or if I am doing something incorrect?

The filename looks like this (the # are actually letters, but I removed the name for this post):

201603312135-wog-church-planter-assessment-report-####-###########.pdf

Alfred will find the file as is if I search by 201603312135 for example, but will not find the file if I search for wog

Alfred will find the file searching wog if I first remove a couple of letters from the end of the filename. If I add the letters back, Alfred is again unable to find the file.

I can find the file using Finder search and searching with a Name contains wog search.

Any ideas on why Alfred may be behaving this way?

Thanks for the help!

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Alfred to find lengthy filenames. I'm wondering if this is a limitation of OS X or Alfred or if I am doing something incorrect?

I've had a play with this by replicating your file name, and I can see that Spotlight stops presenting the file as well when it's a certain character length. Removing a few characters brings it back.

I've passed this on to Andrew, so that he can look at working around this Spotlight issue in a future update, as the file is still indexed by OS X behind the scenes.

In the meantime, you can either search for the file's enclosing folder, shorten the file name or, if you open the same file every time, create a keyword-to-open-file workflow :)

Cheers,

Vero

I've had a play with this by replicating your file name, and I can see that Spotlight stops presenting the file as well when it's a certain character length. Removing a few characters brings it back.

I've passed this on to Andrew, so that he can look at working around this Spotlight issue in a future update, as the file is still indexed by OS X behind the scenes.

In the meantime, you can either search for the file's enclosing folder, shorten the file name or, if you open the same file every time, create a keyword-to-open-file workflow :)

Cheers,

Vero

Thank you for responding Vero! Good to know it's not just something weird on my system.

I discovered something else while playing around with it last night: if I replace the dashes with spaces, the file is discoverable by each word. Strange behavior, but I thought it might be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

-Tyler