dict.cc - Translate English to German

FWIW, dict.cc makes their database available for download here.

If you use the dictionary a lot, I'd recommend grabbing that and building an offline workflow based on it, as it's way faster (and far more reliable) than one that parses the HTML output of an online search.

I made one for myself years ago, but I won't release it because you're not allowed to distribute the wordlist :(

• 2 weeks later...

Not likely. It's a mess. And bad. I was hoping you would make an offline version of this one, to be honest.

Not a real coder either, but i am in sore need of a offline workflow just like this.

If you would you share the workflow you have with me it would really really be helpful in getting me started coding a workflow. I won't mind the mess at all and will probably only mess it up further.

Not a real coder either, but i am in sore need of a offline workflow just like this.

If you would you share the workflow you have with me it would really really be helpful in getting me started coding a workflow. I won't mind the mess at all and will probably only mess it up further.

I'll be perfectly honest: I won't release the workflow as-is because the state of it is unacceptable to me. I've learnt a lot about writing workflows in the 2.5 years since I wrote it, and I'm simply not going to release this code when I can see so much wrong with it.

I'm going to put together a new version now, then I'll upload it to GitHub where you and anyone else can help improve it.

Any suggestions for a name? The one I currently have is beyond lame…

Edited by deanishe
  • 1 month later...

To be honest, I re-downloaded the dictionary dump from dict.cc, spent half an hour thinking how to parse it in a sensible way, couldn't think of an obvious solution, then kinda gave up.

The main issue is that the data dump is rather freely structured. It's not easy to parse reliably into proper data. If you have any thoughts about how that might be done, I'm all ears…

I'll make a note to come back to this next. It's a workflow I use a lot, so any improvement would be a great help to me.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...