2 Questions - Launch an Incognito Chrome window under specific username & Google Music Desktop Player integration

ixium

Good afternoon Everyone, I have a few ideas that have been bugging me for a while that Im pretty sure alfred could do but I just don't have the knowledge to figure it out. You all have helped me with some awesome stuff in past so hopefully this is possible and easy

1. All the time I find myself opening chrome incognito, logging into a different account, and then opening the spreadsheet I wanted to use. Can I make a workflow that opens chrome incognito, logs into the specific account I need for that spreadsheet and then opens the link? If so, how do I do that. I've seen workflows that are close but I couldnt get them to work for me.

2. I use Google Play Music Desktop Player for whatever reason I chose that service. Well I have a workflow that I edited a bit to show me lyrics from Genius.com for the current track, but I havent been able to make it work for Google Music Desktop Player, it was working for iTunes but I no longer use that. So launching the current song into a search on genius is something I manually do all the time and would love if I could do it automatically. I mean I would love a full featured workflow that allowed me to add songs to playlists but starting with just using the current song name to do a search would be great, I will include the current workflow I have that I cannot port to Google Play Music Desktop Player (and thats the name of the actual program if that is needed) (turns out I cannot upload that workflow, here is a link to the original but I had modified it to work with regular Genius.com instead of rap genius. http://www.packal.org/workflow/find-lyrics-current-song-rap-genius

Thank you so much for anyone that can help with these, they have been bugging me for a while

17 minutes ago, ixium said:

Can I make a workflow that opens chrome incognito, logs into the specific account I need for that spreadsheet and then opens the link?

No. The whole point of Incognito is that it’s a clean slate. You could, in theory, open the incognito page and then try to automate the webpage, but that is dependent on the page and not something worth going into.

Instead, consider different Chrome profiles. That’s exactly the use case they cover.

That would work as well I guess, but how would I make a workflow that launches a specific link in a specific profile? I have tried using the workflow on the forums that does this (launches link with new profile) but it doesn't appear to be working for me

Edited by ixium
1 hour ago, ixium said:

I have tried using the workflow on the forums that does this (launches link with new profile) but it doesn't appear to be working for me

Please be more specific when asking for assistance. From that sentence I have no idea neither which Workflow you’re referring to, neither what “doesn't appear to be working” translates to, in practice. It’s impossible to diagnose, hence impossible to fix.

1 hour ago, ixium said:

but how would I make a workflow that launches a specific link in a specific profile?

Look into my IncognitoClone Workflow. On the two bottom Run Script nodes you’ll notice I reference --user-data-dir=\"$(mktemp -d)\". If instead of $(mktemp -d) (which makes a new temporary directory each time) you pick the path to a constant directory, you’ll have a new directory where all the data for that profile will be kept.

Edited by vitor

Hey sorry, just doing this quickly at work, I will look into your workflow, I actually use your Incognito Workflow all the time so good job on that, Ill try to figure out what you mean and try that with a modification of yours! Thank you so much for your help so far, I'll see what I can do!

Thank you so much for making that for me, now im confused though. Firstly I do not know how to create correct type of folder like you mentioned there, so I figured I would just got to the file and see if I can figure it out, but my computer doesnt seem to have a chrome folder inside the Google folder in application support. Sorry for the confusion I wish I knew more about this, I understand if your too busy to help, you have already done so much, thank you!

wow, well that was a much different solution than I thought. But that worked, it opened a new instance of chrome that allowed me to sign in to a different account, what exactly is happening with this, because it asked me to make chrome default, like it was a completely fresh install. Also, thank you so much for your help with this!

54 minutes ago, ixium said:

that was a much different solution than I thought. But that worked

That’s why when asking for help to accomplish something you don’t know how to do, you should mention what you want to do, not how you envision the solution. This is commonly referred to as an XY problem.

56 minutes ago, ixium said:

because it asked me to make chrome default, like it was a completely fresh install.

That’s expected.

57 minutes ago, ixium said:

Also, thank you so much for your help with this!

No problem.

Since there’s so much conversation in this thread already, it might be better if you delete the point 2 and open a new thread for that. It should increase the chances of someone helping with that. I don’t use the services you mention so can’t be of much help in that point.