Alfred can't find but Spotlight can

Hi All,

I search for same words both on spotlight and Alfred. when spotlight bring me results and what i want, Alfred can not. I got some screen shots. This is only one example. I got same results for most of my searches. And that's why i am using spotlight and alfred together. there is no sense while having Powerpack.

spotlight.jpg

alfred.jpg

1 hour ago, firatacis said:

I think i have solved this myself.. I have added whole MAC OS drive to search scope.

That step is covered in the aforementioned troubleshooting steps. It’s point 2.

So the guides can maybe be improved, what wasn’t clear to you on the initial read?

On 02.03.2018 at 1:17 AM, vitor said:

That step is covered in the aforementioned troubleshooting steps. It’s point 2.

So the guides can maybe be improved, what wasn’t clear to you on the initial read?

Dear Vitor,

Well, at this step i compared the search scope between the screenshot of the guide and mine. They were same. So i thought there should be no problem since everything was same. Then i added whole hard drive to scope. 

So as you say, this guide may need to be updated.

Thank you all for your support.

Thank you for the insight, @firatacis,

I don’t think it needs an update, then. The screenshot is merely illustrative and the accompanying text makes clear you should alter the scope to fit your needs, not make it the same as presented. It’s not possible to make a screenshot that covers every case.

@vitor According to Step 3, Alfred will find everything that is checked in the Spotlight preferences. However, Alfred doesn't actually display those files unless you add the folder with those files to the Search Scopes. Most people probably don't understand that, or even know that emails are stored in ~/Library/Mail, and that fonts are stored in /Library/Fonts and ~/Library/Fonts.

My suggestion would be to add those 3 paths to the default Search Scopes, and then add checkboxes for "Emails" and "Fonts" under Essentials or Extras to hide those results.

Edited by Tsunami
1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

According to Step 3, Alfred will find everything that is checked in the Spotlight preferences.

That is not what it says. What it says is that Alfred relies on Spotlight’s metadata, and thus can only find something if Spotlight also can. The steps are numbered and meant to be followed in order with and go from the most general to the more specific.

Two important notes:

1. Keep in mind I did not write that guide, so when I say I think it’s clear, I have no bias.
  2. I’m on this forum multiple times a day every day. I see every new post or almost. I don’t remember those instructions being this confusing to any one else, and I point users there regularly. I’m confident in saying the present confusion was a fluke, and not the norm.