Can't get snippets set up: clipboard history blank

I'm new to Alfred, and I'm trying to get snippet set up. I have the Power Pack.

I turned on my Clipboard History and then worked for a day, copying and pasting at least 30 times. There are still no snippets in my Clipboard History. 

So then I tried to set the snippets up manually. I copied a bit of text I'd like to use as a snippet. Then, per the instructions used the "Cmd + S hotkey in the Clipboard History viewer to save a text clip from the clipboard as a snippet." Absolutely nothing happened.

Can anyone help? 

Edited by KarenZ

Hi @KarenZ Welcome to the forum :)

First, just to avoid confusion, there's a difference between Clipboard history and Snippets;

• Clipboard History is a less-permanent list of the items that were copied to the clipboard automatically as you pressed Cmd + C throughout the day.
  • Snippets are manually created in the Snippets preferences (of copied from the Alfred Clipboard History using Cmd + S if you already have Clipboard History entries) for the purpose of saving longer term.

It sounds like Clipboard History hasn't been set up correctly yet on your Mac, so first, ensure that you've set it up using the following instructions:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/features/clipboard/#clipboard-history

Next, if you're on macOS Mojave, you'll need to ensure that Alfred was granted Accessibility permissions before Clipboard History and Snippets can work:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/getting-started/macos-mojave/#integration

Let me know how you get on! 

Cheers,
Vero

@KarenZ As far as I can see, you're on macOS Mojave, but please let us know the exact version you're using for both macOS and Alfred.

Could you please provide screenshots of the Snippets and Clipboard History preferences? And let me know what steps you've taken to start using the Clipboard/Snippets? 

Cheers,
Vero

@KarenZ You'll now be able to add more images; New members are restricted in the amount they can post within the first few days, to help us keep a handle on spam accounts. I've fast-tracked you to a fully fledged member :)

Cheers,
Vero

• 2 weeks later...

@KarenZ Sorry, I missed your second post! 

As I explained in my first reply, there is a difference between Clipboard History and Snippets.

For Snippets, Alfred should request access when you set them up. Do you recall whether you followed the steps when "Welcome to Alfred's Text Expansion!" pops up and takes you to System Preferences to grant access? 

You can reset these permissions by opening Terminal and typing:

tccutil reset AppleEvents

This means that your apps request Automation permissions again, so follow the steps to set up Snippets again in Features > Snippets by unchecking and re-checking "Automatically expand snippets by keyword" (where you'll get the "Welcome to Alfred's Text Expansion!" message and will need to grant Automation rights to Alfred.

For Clipboard History, check the Accessibility permissions and see whether you've granted Alfred permissions as outlined in my first reply. If the issue persists, type "clear" into Alfred and choose "Clear Clipboard History".

Let me know how you get on. :)

Cheers,
Vero

@KarenZ You still haven't specified whether you're looking to use Clipboard History or Snippets; Could you please let me know which feature you're trying to use and what steps you've taken, as it'll make it easier for you and I to work out where the issue lies.

A minor adjustment to my previous guidance; This referred to slightly older versions of Alfred. In more recent versions of Alfred, rather than the "Welcome to Alfred's Text Expansion!", Alfred as a whole will request permissions, so you would have originally seen this notice:

Screenshot 2019-03-18 at 13.03.29.png

Take a look at your System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility preferences, which should look like this including the checkbox next to Alfred 3. If the box is not yet checked, it means you didn't grant Alfred permissions earlier, so check the box now.

Screenshot 2019-03-18 at 13.03.55.png

Let me know how you get on. If you're still having issues, please provide details of exactly what you're doing step by step, and include the preferences above so that I can take a look :) 

Cheers,
Vero

Thank you. Yep, I know there's a difference. I'm trying to use Clipboard History, Snippets and Text Expansion. Yes, I had already granted Alfred permissions. I am still unable to get any Alfred features to work at all. What info can I provide so you can diagnose my issues, and help me get started? 

@KarenZ Reading through this thread, there's some conflicting information as to what is and isn't working (as you're referring to using Cmd + S in the Clipboard Viewer to save a clipboard item as a snippet, but also saying the Clipboard History isn't working) so could you please pop us an email on info@ with the following information:

• Screenshots of your Alfred Clipboard Viewer
  • Step by step of what keywords or hotkeys you're using to try to use Clipboard History
  • Step by step of how you're trying to use Snippets, including what keyword you're typing, which app you're trying to expand snippets in
  • An export of the Snippets collection you're using in your example above (right-click the collection and choose Export)

We'll then take it from there. :) 

Cheers,
Vero

• 1 year later...