Assign Keyword Action

DugRay

I'm coming to Alfred from Launchbar, and one of the best features of Launchbar is the ability to assign any abbreviation to a file or application. Even if I wanted to do something as silly as have Adobe Photoshop pop up when I type "Bob," I could do that. More realistically, if I wanted "adw" to pull up Adobe Dreamweaver, I could do that as well. In v2, workflows allow me to do that but I have to manually create each one. Have you thought of having an action called "Assign Keyword" that would prompt the user for a keyword abbreviation and that would automatically be saved as a workflow (with the app icon even)? That would be useful for me,  and perhaps others. Thanks.

Doug

I'm coming to Alfred from Launchbar, and one of the best features of Launchbar is the ability to assign any abbreviation to a file or application. Even if I wanted to do something as silly as have Adobe Photoshop pop up when I type "Bob," I could do that. More realistically, if I wanted "adw" to pull up Adobe Dreamweaver, I could do that as well. In v2, workflows allow me to do that but I have to manually create each one. Have you thought of having an action called "Assign Keyword" that would prompt the user for a keyword abbreviation and that would automatically be saved as a workflow (with the app icon even)? That would be useful for me,  and perhaps others. Thanks.

Doug

I believe you can already do that by selecting the application in Finder, hitting CMD+I (or selecting "Get Info" from the context menu), and entering "bob" in the "Spotlight comments" section.  Alfred uses the spotlight comments when matching applications.

tonio,

Thanks for that tip, although I would prefer some way to do this that didn't muddy up Spotlight comments. For now, I think making an individual workflow for any custom abbreviations is probably preferable for me.

DugRay

tonio,

Thanks for that tip, although I would prefer some way to do this that didn't muddy up Spotlight comments. For now, I think making an individual workflow for any custom abbreviations is probably preferable for me.

DugRay

I doubt this will completely remedy your issue, but if you set Alfred to use 'Complete fuzzy matching from word boundary' ('Advanced' Tab > 'Apps Matching'), 'adw' will match 'Adobe DreamWeaver'.