Alfred v2 reset itself

GamerChase

It no longer allows me to sync to Dropbox, and all my workflows and themes are gone. WTF. The hotkey to call Alfred is the same, but that's it.

I have backups, but I don't know how to piece it all back together. I tried just copying the Alfred.alfredpreferences file from my Time Machine from two days ago, but that didn't do the trick.

Help?  :(

Edit: Currently using v2.0.2 (178) on OS X 10.8.3.

Edited by GamerChase

It no longer allows me to sync to Dropbox, and all my workflows and themes are gone. WTF. The hotkey to call Alfred is the same, but that's it.

I have backups, but I don't know how to piece it all back together. I tried just copying the Alfred.alfredpreferences file from my Time Machine from two days ago, but that didn't do the trick.

Help?  :(

Edit: Currently using v2.0.2 (178) on OS X 10.8.3.

If you still have the Alfred.alfredpreferences, 99% of your settings are in there, so you haven't lost anything.

1. Make sure your Powerpack is still active in Alfred's Powerpack tab

2. Copy Alfred.alfredpreferences to where you would like it

3. Set the sync folder to the folder containing the Alfred.alfredpreferences file

Alfred will restart and everything will be where you left off.

Cheers,

Andrew

If you still have the Alfred.alfredpreferences, 99% of your settings are in there, so you haven't lost anything.

1. Make sure your Powerpack is still active in Alfred's Powerpack tab

2. Copy Alfred.alfredpreferences to where you would like it

3. Set the sync folder to the folder containing the Alfred.alfredpreferences file

Alfred will restart and everything will be where you left off.

Cheers,

Andrew

THANK YOU!! I never realized just how crucial Alfred has become to me using my Mac.

You're awesome, Andrew!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem - Alfred 2 periodically resets all my settings (except workflows) - this is incredibly annoying. I thought it might be something to do with DropBox syncing, but I've just changed the folder to a different one, and Alfred forgot all the settings again while changing the folders.

Any suggestions?

Edit: forgot to mention that I've done steps 1 and 2 from http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:persisting-preferences but I don't want to do 3 until I know whether this will delete all my workflows.

Edited by sir

I'm having the same problem - Alfred 2 periodically resets all my settings (except workflows) - this is incredibly annoying. I thought it might be something to do with DropBox syncing, but I've just changed the folder to a different one, and Alfred forgot all the settings again while changing the folders.

Any suggestions?

Edit: forgot to mention that I've done steps 1 and 2 from http://support.alfredapp.com/kb:persisting-preferences but I don't want to do 3 until I know whether this will delete all my workflows.

Alfred 2 won't be resetting all of your settings as he has no way of actually doing this. Any settings being reset are going to be due to an external factor such as dropbox syncing clash or filesystem corruption.

At this point, take a backup of Alfred.alfredpreferences and you won't lose anything as 99% of your settings are in this.

Zip up this file and send it to info@alfredapp com, let me know which setting in particular has reset and I'll take a look to see if there are any dropbox clash issues.

• 2 months later...

Hi Andrew.

I was having this issue as well. As with GamerChase, only the global Alfred keyboard shortcut remained at what I set, but themes, the clipboard keyboard shortcut and snippets were all reset. I don't use any syncing. It didn't happen on a new user account.

I fixed it by following your advice to GamerChase, but setting the sync folder to my normal preferences folder ("~/Library/Preferences"), where Alfred v2 had already saved some plists. This immediately solved the problem - all settings I had previously changed became what they were meant to be. It seems as though Alfred was saving the settings to that location, but then not reading them back from there.