Voiceover does not announce alfred search results

Lex

Steps to reproduce:

1. Turn on voiceover (command+f5)

2. Bring up alfred search window by pressing your alfred hotkey

3. type in your query

4. try to navigate search results with keyboard

Current results:

I tried to navigate with up/down arrows, tabbing, moving voiceover cursor (with control+option+arrows) but by no mean I was able to hear alfred search results.

Expected results:

Voiceover should read results list when user performs standart keyboard navigation with cursor arrows.

environment: OS X 10.8.3, the latest alfred 2.

Glad to hear!

Feel free to ask me for testing, since I am voiceover user myself.

Apple has good enough dev documentation about accessibility and quite a few pannels recorded on WWDCs, so I hope it will not take your time too much.

Edited by Lex

• 2 months later...

dear Andrew,

I am Another blind Mac user, and Was really excited to try out Alfred. Unfortunately, it is not yet really usable with voice-over.

Not only the above-mentioned search resultsdisplay, but most of the functions like for example assigning a hotkey needs sighted assistance.

I really hope you can do something, as keyboard-based applications are really something blind people need.

Kind regards,

JPR

• 7 months later...

As of January 2014, there is still no VoiceOver support in alfred2.

I may announce that i bought the Powerpack and am using alfred on a business Macbook for productivity purposes.

As a paying customer i would expect support for visually impaired users. Apple offers a great accessibility-api and is known for it's universal design and accessibility approach, that sets Apple Products apart from it's competitors.

Since the first request in the thread was postet nealry a year ago, it seems embarrassing that nothing happened in the area during that time.

Don't take me wrong, i love alfred and would not want to live without it anymore. But switching VoiceOver off and on, each time I want to use alfred is no solution. Other colleagues can't use the software at all, even if it would be the perfect tool for blind users.

Best regards,

Andreas.

As of January 2014, there is still no VoiceOver support in alfred2.

I may announce that i bought the Powerpack and am using alfred on a business Macbook for productivity purposes.

As a paying customer i would expect support for visually impaired users. Apple offers a great accessibility-api and is known for it's universal design and accessibility approach, that sets Apple Products apart from it's competitors.

Since the first request in the thread was postet nealry a year ago, it seems embarrassing that nothing happened in the area during that time.

Don't take me wrong, i love alfred and would not want to live without it anymore. But switching VoiceOver off and on, each time I want to use alfred is no solution. Other colleagues can't use the software at all, even if it would be the perfect tool for blind users.

Best regards,

Andreas.

I have had a number of interactions with Apple (official and unofficial) regarding its accessibility API's in relation to Alfred (specifically the nature of the results presentation below a text field), and wanting the results to be read as per Spotlight, but have had the door shut a number of times. Apple have kept the Spotlight accessibility API private and continue to do so.

I know that I will be able to get Alfred accessible, but as Alfred doesn't contain standard OS X controls in the main UI, I will have to do a significant amount of lower level bespoke work. The honest truth is, as a single developer, I simply haven't had the time to do this while continuing to develop Alfred and support our users.

This is still on the plan for the future.

Cheers,

Andrew