Tried to sync prefs but instead wiped them out.

I have a sweet Alfred prefs setup on my laptop that I wanted to sync to the desktop. I followed the steps here (https://www.alfredapp.com/help/advanced/sync/) and did the Set folder and restart Alfred" step. There was an older Alfred pref file in there (I only selected the folder, not the pref file). What it did was wipe out all my existing preferences and I'm now pointed to that 2019 pref file. I lost all my workflows. I know where the folder was previously although there is no pref file stored there, that I can see.... and a wide open search on everything shows no pref file anywhere other than the newly created one (with all my stuff gone)

Were the steps I followed above designed to wipe prefs and restore to the old prefs? There's nothing in those steps that hinted that could've been the case. And could it be that Alfred wasn't storing prefs in a file prior to me doing the above? Is there a way to "undo" and get back to ....all the workflows that were so cool that I wanted to share them to my desktop and now are nowhere? Pointing me to help file is fine, I'm just not finding one. Thanks

3 hours ago, karenjs said:

There was an older Alfred pref file in there

Then Alfred will use that old preferences bundle. It won't overwrite it.

The preferences you were using before turning sync on are still in ~/Library/Application Support/Alfred/Alfred.alfredpreferences

3 hours ago, karenjs said:

a wide open search on everything shows no pref file anywhere

Spotlight doesn't search ~/Library by default. Go look in the above folder yourself.

Thank you! So helpful! So I trashed the prefs that I had pointed it to on Dropbox (the old prefs from way back) and it re-pointed itself to the Library and everything was back. That had me breathing easier. Then I created a new/fresh folder on Dropbox, pointed it to it, and it did its thing. Thanks for taking the time to answer, because you really got me out of a bind. It says Community Hero under your name, and I agree! 😊