alfred opens new tab for the same task

Hello,

I am not that expert in Alfred. I search a {query} in Google Translate and if I use another {query} in again for same website (which is Google Translate) it opens another tab.

Google Translate was just an example. How can I stop openning many tabs at the end while the same website is already awake in my browser?

Thanks!

When you tell Alfred to open a URL, it essentially passes the message along to macOS who then handles it. After macOS sends it to your default browser, it’s up to the browser itself. If you want a different behaviour, you’ll have to create a Workflow to automate the browser in question. The way to do it depends on which browser it is. If it’s Firefox, forget it. Safari, on the other hand, works how you want out of the box.

2 minutes ago, podious said:

Would u suggest me a similar project so I can modify it.

Alfred’s documentation is pretty good. It has plenty of examples and Workflows to get you started. But you’ll have to write (or find) the code for it. Search for browser automation with AppleScript. You’ll have to recreate every search you want, then on every call have your code loop through every tab of every window and act accordingly.

An alternative would be a Workflow to close duplicate browser tabs. I had that thought before and may yet build it, but no promises or ETA.

Consider first opening a feature request with the makers of the browser you use for them to include that behaviour.

3 minutes ago, podious said:

Concerning the browser, I can pass to safari or chrome if it works.

As I mentioned, if you use Safari it already behaves like you want.