Different file path upon searching for safari in Ventura

Today, I updated to MacOS Ventura. Immediately upon after installing the update, the path for safari is incorrect when I search for it in Alfred. Prior to updating, it would show /Applications/Safari.app. 

After updating, it showed this option in the screenshot, and /Applications/Safari.app, and this other option had a blank icon. To fix the duplication issue, I typed `reload` into Alfred, as well as clearing application cache and rebuilding macOS metadata (under advanced settings). 

I also checked the file search troubleshooting, but it found safari in /Applications. I've copied an abridged copy of the diagnostics which just includes the path and noting that it passed. Everything else on the diagnostic came up .

Any suggestions on how to fix this and get /Applications/Safari.app back? I searched the forums (which told me everything I tried above) but couldn't find anything else for this issue.

Here's the output from the diagnostics:

Starting Diagnostics...

File: 'Safari.app'
Path: '/Applications'

-----------------------------------------------------------

Troubleshooting passed

image.thumb.png.8f827b2df2cbfcba9caff93540749239.png

Edited by Vero
Title edited to show this is specific to Ventura
  • Vero changed the title to Different file path upon searching for safari in Ventura

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it does not apply to my situation. My issue is that there is only one instance of Safari in Alfred's search results and it appears with the incorrect path.

After updating to Ventura, I had two, but I fixed that issue as described above.

So, what I see now is that Safari has the path System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/App/System/Applications/Safari.app (as indicated in the picture), while I want it to display just /Applications/Safari.app.

Other applications display the correct path, e.g., /Applications/iTerm.app, /Applications/Obsidian.app. As far as I can tell (I have not exhaustively checked all my applications, but for all those that I have checked), it is just Safari that is displaying the incorrect path.

@logical_outlier Safari is different to other apps in Ventura; It's now part of Apple's RSR (Rapid Security Response) which means that they can make security updates while bypassing the normal software update system.

As such, this path isn't incorrect. We'll take a look now that Ventura's general release is available and share our own findings too - but for now, there's nothing to worry about, you're still opening the right app :)