Using URL Handler with Inbound Configuration (without External Trigger object) not working? Alfred 5

• Alfred 5.0.5 (2096)
  • macOS 13.0.1

I've been having a go with the URL Handler feature to trigger workflows externally using alfred://runtrigger/ — Nice! 🚀

One question/clarification: In the docs, it says "An Inbound Configuration set up with an external identifier will behave the same as using an external trigger and provides additional configuration options.", but I'm not finding that to be the case.

I can only seem to get the URL Handler to work if I explicitly add an External Trigger object and enable the Available via URL Handler checkbox. Simply adding an External Identifier to Inbound Configuration (Direct mode) has no effect when the URL is fired.

Am I doing this wrong, misunderstanding the feature, or is this a bug?

Edited by luckman212
  • luckman212 changed the title to Using URL Handler with Inbound Configuration (without External Trigger object) not working? Alfred 5

It’s working as intended. The Inbound Configuration is a shortcut to common needs but doesn’t have to completely replace other objects. It also allows for a custom argument but doesn’t have every feature of an Arg and Vars, for example. Activating the URL handler is itself an action which needs to be turned on so it’d need to be yet another option in the Inbound Configuration.