External script issues

Hi all

Since I tend to write more than a few scripts for my workflows I was curious if people had any comments about the feasibility of using external scripts where possible.

These would be JS and AppleScript code. Shell scripts aren't a problem.

I was mostly concerned with speed as well as how external scripts impact when exporting your Workflows to post to Github etc

Thanks 

Depends on what you mean with “external”. If you mean external to the workflow itself, stored somewhere else on your hard drive, then that complicates sharing because you’ll need to make sure users also have that.

But if you just mean external to the Script box and ship the script inside the workflow’s folder, then it’ll work fine. Speed-wise it may technically be even a bit faster, though in practical terms the difference is so small you’ll never notice. When exporting it’ll just be the extra file inside the Workflow’s folder, which is good in the sense that it’s easier to edit and version control. It’s mostly a preference thing.

Combining both gives you extra flexibility, like doing a check for certain things in the Script box which then calls the correct script or the correct arguments.