Cannot save screenshots to clipboard history when the 1Password app is in focus

• What you were doing when the issue happened: Taking screenshots while holding control (to save to the clipboard instead of a file), either of the full screen (ctrl+cmd+shift+3) or part of the screen (ctrl+cmd+shift+4). The screenshots do not appear in Alfred's clipboard viewer if 1Password was in focus when the screenshot was taken.
  • Whether you were able to replicate it a second time by performing the same action: Yes
  • Include any screenshots that might help us:

First I took a screenshot with ctrl+cmd+shift+4 when Finder was in focus, and then took this screenshot of the clipboard viewer to show that the screenshot appeared in the clipboard viewer:

image.thumb.jpeg.b9eddf21423d857911a1075262ece810.jpeg

Next I took a screenshot with ctrl+cmd+shift+4 when 1Password was in focus. When opening the clipboard viewer again, I found that the new screenshot was not there:

image.thumb.jpeg.4d01b9ea8c948fcdb2d36a6b34836c69.jpeg

For reference, this is what I'd taken a screenshot of when 1Password was in focus. I captured this by taking a screenshot with cmd+shift+3 which saved the file to disk, then I took a screenshot of the part of the screen in Preview:

image.png.8f77a58511e37c9f17700e0f14b0cbcf.png

• Include the Alfred version & build number you are using: 5.1.1 [2138]
  • Include your macOS version: Ventura 13.3.1 (a) (22E772610a)
  • Include the version number of any third-party apps relevant to your issue: 1Password 8.10.8

Also, when going to get the 1Password version number I experienced an issue which is probably related: the 1Password Settings app has a button to copy the version info to the clipboard:

image.thumb.png.7fea848c5c28c6cf5dac00df75939f2f.png

Clicking that button indicates that the version info was copied to the clipboard:

image.thumb.jpeg.a99786ae711867cb25ed876de3484463.jpeg

But when opening the clipboard viewer, the version info has not been copied and is not there.

I'd discussed this with a 1Password employee in the 1Password forums, assuming it was some kind of security feature of 1Password which prevents screenshots from being taken when the 1Password app is in focus, however they implied that there is no such feature of 1Password or reason that screenshots could not be taken when the 1Password application window is in focus.

It’s expected that the version info does not appear in the Clipboard History, since that data is marked as concealed by 1Password. By default Alfred does not save those items. You can see this feature (and disable it if desired) under Alfred Preferences → Features → Clipboard History → Advanced → Ignore clipboard data marked as Concealed. You can verify 1Password is marking that data as concealed by opening Script Editor and running the following code after copying the 1Password version information to the clipboard:

ObjC.import("AppKit")

$.NSPasteboard.generalPasteboard.pasteboardItems.js[0].types.js.map(c => c.js)

You should get a result like:

["public.utf8-plain-text", "org.nspasteboard.ConcealedType", "com.agilebits.onepassword"]

Note the org.nspasteboard.ConcealedType.

It’s worth pointing out this just means Alfred won’t save the data to its Clipboard History, but the information is still in your clipboard. So if you ⌘V somewhere (before copying something else) you’ll still paste the information.

Regarding the screenshots, since it happens when 1Password is in focus, check if you’ve added 1Password to the app list in that same location: Alfred Preferences → Features → Clipboard History → Advanced → Ignore Apps. That would explain why they’re not being saved.

• 1 month later...

@vitor Thanks for the super helpful response! Yes, 1Password was indeed in my "Ignore Apps" list! And removing it from the list solved my problem.

image.thumb.png.6aedad9c6b370b07681b6f4d55cb2d04.png

I definitely wouldn't have added that, so I'm guessing either 1Password adds itself to that list, or perhaps that 1Password registers itself as an application which deals with sensitive data at a system level, and the Alfred application reads/respects that list. 

Thanks again!