Alfred 5 snippets are not working and existing snippets cannot be deleted

Both macbooks had Optimised Storage on, but I turned it off now on the macbook where Alfred Snippets doesn't work. Unfortunately the snippets still doesn't work and I couldn't edit the file. 

By the way the Alfred which is working on another macbook is an old version of alfred 4. Snippets won't work after I updated on another macbook. 

@Jingyun Li It's a requirement for syncing to have Optimised Storage disabled, as otherwise your Mac can arbitrarily decide to move files to online-only, making your preferences unavailable. This is why it can work sometimes, but not other times; macOS may hold the files locally one one Mac or on a given day, but switch them to online-only without your knowledge at any time.

I would suggest to temporarily move your preferences to a folder in your root folder (e.g. ~/Alfred/) as this is a non-iCloud-synced location, and will allow you to test whether you can now delete the snippet collection normally.

As a manual workaround, you can reveal your preferences in Finder via the Sync preferences' "Reveal in Finder" button, then browse into the Alfred.alfredpreferences to find the snippet collection you want to delete. However, it'd be best to resolve the core issue instead so that you can get a smooth experience in the future too :)

@Jingyun Li Good to hear you were able to delete the snippet collection.

In terms of using iCloud for preferences, lots of people use it for syncing their Alfred prefs - but it requires Optimised Storage to be disabled. Otherwise it may be best to pick one of the other sync services.

(Annoyingly, once upon a time, Apple beta-tested allowing individual folders to be "pinned" to always be stored locally in iCloud, but that feature was scrapped before release, so it's an all or nothing for iCloud Optimised Storage.)

5 minutes ago, Jingyun Li said:

But snippet is still not working (it is not automatically expanding)

Could you please provide more details on what stage the snippets don't work?

• If you launch TextEdit (a simple and native app, ideal for testing) and try to expand your snippet, what do you see? Does the keyword disappear, does the snippet content appear, do you hear an error beep?
  • If your snippet expands in TextEdit, in which apps do you see a different behaviour?
  • What is your snippet keyword? What is the content that should be pasted?
  • Have you remapped Cmd + V to anything other than the built-in macOS paste command?

@Jingyun Li Could you answer the other questions I asked in my earlier post? Is Cmd + V remapped in any way that could interfere with pasting? Does the snippet keyword disappear?

The more information you can provide, the easier we'll be able to help you troubleshoot the issue.

sorry!! 

- non of the snippet works (I've got more than 20 snippets). For example I'm trying to got "ddd" to work for example which expands to "{date:dd.MM.yyyy}". I've also got other snippets such as "tf" to my number and keywords in letters (such as "gm1") which should expands to my email address (pure text).

- command +v is still paste command 

In TextEdid the keyword doesn't disappear, but doesn't auto expand either. :( 

There is another problem with my Alfred - I also couldn't use clipboard history as before. When I click on enter on a certain entry, it does not paste the text anymore. The command+1 (or commond +2/3/4/5...) shortcut also doesn't work for pasting. It seems that it is just copied. Instead I have to manually type cmd + v to paste. I somehow feel like these problems are related..

Edited by Jingyun Li

@Jingyun Li If the keyword doesn't disappear, it indicates that the Accessibility permissions are probably not granted to Alfred properly on your Mac.

Here are the instructions for re-granting permissions:

https://www.alfredapp.com/help/getting-started/permissions/#regrant

Once you're able to get the keyword to disappear, we can look at working out why pasting isn't working on your Mac. If you're using any third-party clipboard manipulation apps, please quit these to work out whether they're interfering with normal clipboard operation.

• 2 weeks later...