Not showing some contacts yet in Spotlight

v2.0.6 (203)
For some reason Alfred will not display particular contacts, but yet Spotlight presents all. Most show up in Alfred.

I would post screenshots if I knew how. Alfred finds everything else I search for.

Naturally I have File Search unchecked for 'Don't Show' against Contacts.

Any suggestions what I need to do?

Is the only thing I can do to rebuild the index using terminal:

*sudo rm -R /.Spotlight-V100*

*sudo mdutil -i on /*

*sudo mduitl -E /*

Please advise

v2.0.6 (203)

For some reason Alfred will not display particular contacts, but yet Spotlight presents all. Most show up in Alfred.

I would post screenshots if I knew how. Alfred finds everything else I search for.

Naturally I have File Search unchecked for 'Don't Show' against Contacts.

Any suggestions what I need to do?

Is the only thing I can do to rebuild the index using terminal:

*sudo rm -R /.Spotlight-V100*

*sudo mdutil -i on /*

*sudo mduitl -E /*

Please advise

Contacts are loaded directly from OS X's contacts API so you'll want to re-tick Contacts in the "Don't show" section under file search, as this relates to contact metadata.

With Contacts ticked in Aflred's Default Results, are any contacts showing at all? If not, you may want to check if Alfred has access to the contacts in OS X's Securty & Privacy > Privacy > Contact preferences.

Cheers,

Andrew

[moving to the help subforum]

Contacts are loaded directly from OS X's contacts API so you'll want to re-tick Contacts in the "Don't show" section under file search, as this relates to contact metadata.

With Contacts ticked in Aflred's Default Results, are any contacts showing at all? If not, you may want to check if Alfred has access to the contacts in OS X's Securty & Privacy > Privacy > Contact preferences.

Cheers,

Andrew

[moving to the help subforum]

Thanks Andrew, I have re-ticked the 'Dont Show'. By the way, what other things should I recheck that is under OS Xs' APIs?

Contacts do show up in Alfred - always has. And I have confirmed OS X Security & Privacy and Alfred is checked in the Contact Preferences. So thats the reason for the post. A select number won't show up. The contacts do appear across all my devices so they have loaded fine.

Andrew, I can do a screen snapshot to show how a contact shows in Spotlight, Contacts, but not Alfred if you like. Just need to point me on how to load via this forum.

So next steps?

Thanks Andrew, I have re-ticked the 'Dont Show'. By the way, what other things should I recheck that is under OS Xs' APIs?

Contacts do show up in Alfred - always has. And I have confirmed OS X Security & Privacy and Alfred is checked in the Contact Preferences. So thats the reason for the post. A select number won't show up. The contacts do appear across all my devices so they have loaded fine.

Andrew, I can do a screen snapshot to show how a contact shows in Spotlight, Contacts, but not Alfred if you like. Just need to point me on how to load via this forum.

So next steps?

If you need to post a screenshot, just pop that image on any one of the image hosting services (or a dropbox public image), then use the insert image button in the post editor... but no need to post an image of a contact in Spotlight... I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of this for you :)

Is there anything special or different about the contacts which don't show up? i.e. is it just a standard contact grouped with all the others? Have you tried editing that contact and re-saving it, just in case OS X has corrupted the record somehow.

Would you mind exporting one of the contacts which isn't showing (feel free to change some of the data first) and emailing it to info@alfredapp com so I can take a look :)

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew hinted an issue when he said 'is there anything special or different about the contacts which don't show up'.

In my case there is, I had two words in the First Name field in contacts.

I learnt that Alfred currently only looks at the first word in the First Name field so it will not find a contact if you search by the second or subsequent word in the First Name field.

Eg Pr John (in First Name field)

Search 'Pr' will bring all contacts having Pr in the first word of a field name

But search 'Pr John' will NOT show up this result you want. 

Searching 'John' will also not show up Pr John in search field as it is the second word in the field.

It is interesting that this is not the result when you search by title- ie it looks for all words in a title search eg for a document.

eg: Tax Expenses. 

If you type the word Expenses, Alfred will find that... but not so when someone has two words in their First Name title.

Andrew- will Alfred be able to search by any word in the First Name field in future?

Thank you

Eg Pr John (in First Name field)

You should really use the Prefix field in Contacts.app for the Pr part, then Alfred has an option to either show or hide the person's title, e.g. Mr, Mrs, Pr.

Let me know if you need any help setting this up in Contacts app :)

You should really use the Prefix field in Contacts.app for the Pr part, then Alfred has an option to either show or hide the person's title, e.g. Mr, Mrs, Pr.

Let me know if you need any help setting this up in Contacts app :)

Thanks Andrew

I activated it, though I see that the person remains under their alphabetical order when I insert their Prefix title. I had hoped to leave the Pr Contacts under P but will need to leave them under their first name as I would prioritise search by Alfred over sort order in Contacts.

Thanks and if you can reply to my email sent to info@alfredapp.com that would be great.

Cheers

• 1 month later...