Streamlining to other textfields

Hey guys, 

I've been trying to make a simple workflow that would automatically give the focus to another textfield so that the UX would look like that:

• I type my ⌘+space (alfred shortcut),
  • then I type the keyword for my workflow, say "menu search",
  • then space (or autocomplete to get the extra space after the keyword),
  • and then when I start typing my query, I'm already in the appropriate textfield (shortcat, help search menu, spotlight...) and not in alfred anymore.

I think that theoretically, the workflow would be pretty simple. Just this should work (I get my shortcat from space+ctrl):

tell application "System Events"

keystroke space using control down

end tell

If you had this osascript in a script filter with space required and argument optional, what I'm describing should work. But it doesn't.

any idea? 

If it's blocked by andrew, why?

here is a link to my "test" workflow: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/14050630/test.alfredworkflow

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, 

I've been trying to make a simple workflow that would automatically give the focus to another textfield so that the UX would look like that:

• I type my ⌘+space (alfred shortcut),
  • then I type the keyword for my workflow, say "menu search",
  • then space (or autocomplete to get the extra space after the keyword),
  • and then when I start typing my query, I'm already in the appropriate textfield (shortcat, help search menu, spotlight...) and not in alfred anymore.

I think that theoretically, the workflow would be pretty simple. Just this should work (I get my shortcat from space+ctrl):

tell application "System Events"

keystroke space using control down

end tell

If you had this osascript in a script filter with space required and argument optional, what I'm describing should work. But it doesn't.

any idea? 

If it's blocked by andrew, why?

here is a link to my "test" workflow: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/14050630/test.alfredworkflow

This should work. I can use AppleScript to display shortcat. If I need to do it for a specific window though, I did have to add a delay in the script to get it to work properly.

For instance, I wanted to test it by swapping to Safari and then calling Shortcat. To do this, I couldn't just...

tell application "Safari" to activate
tell application "System Events" to keystroke space using option down

I had to..

tell application "Safari" to activate
delay .5
tell application "System Events" to keystroke space using option down

Perhaps you need a delay for something? Not sure what your code looks like or is doing so.. I'm not sure right off. The delay could probably be decreased also. I just stuck a number in there to test this.