Focus when opening encrypted disk image files

pherzing

Since upgrading to OS X Mavericks, when I use Alfred to open encrypted disk image files, the password entry dialog that appears is no longer focused. I have to click it, then type the password. Focus was correct in Mountain Lion and previous.

Mac OS X 10.9, fully patchd

Alfred v2.1 (218)

Since upgrading to OS X Mavericks, when I use Alfred to open encrypted disk image files, the password entry dialog that appears is no longer focused. I have to click it, then type the password. Focus was correct in Mountain Lion and previous.

Mac OS X 10.9, fully patchd

Alfred v2.1 (218)

As Alfred isn't doing anything special when opening files, and even yields focus back to the OS, I suspect this may be a quirk with Mavericks.

Could you try opening Terminal.app and opening the disk image from there e.g.

open ~/Desktop/encrypted.sparsebundle

Cheers,

Andrew

So playing with this a bit more, it does look like a Mavericks timing / focus issue. This could likely be worked around with a workflow which inserts a tiny delay after hiding Alfred before opening the DMG… e.g.

File Filter > Script with delay, open file

I'm going to add a ticket to keep an eye on this one, and possibly raise a ticket with Apple as I try to avoid putting workarounds into Alfred.

Cheers,

Andrew

• 1 month later...

The same problem by

do shell script "$MYPATH/scripts/bash/service-manager.sh {query}" with administrator privileges

Invoking the same script in AppleScript Editor.app works just fine with focusing on the authentication window.

Edited by speechkey

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Any news here?

So I've investigated this further and it's definitely a behavioural change and likely bug in Mavericks where Finder doesn't take focus when it should. Alfred's default window doesn't deactivate for the smoothest possible [visual] experience and this is where the problem comes.

Having said that, if you use this Workflow, the focus should be correct as Alfred deactivates and focus is forced back to OS X.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6749767/Alfred/Workflows/Find%20and%20open%20disk%20images.alfredworkflow

I have a ticket and will continue to monitor this for an OS X fix or behavioural change in Alfred.

Cheers,

Andrew

[moved to noted]