Alfred won't find any of my apps

cbnz

When I type in an app name I just get the default "Search Google", "Search Amazon" etc. I've rebuilt my metadata, cleared the cache, checked the scope and then reinstalled Alfred, but none of that has worked. Spotlight finds everything fine. I'm on a brand new MBP (got it today) so really don't know what I could have done to screw it up. Any ideas?

When I type in an app name I just get the default "Search Google", "Search Amazon" etc. I've rebuilt my metadata, cleared the cache, checked the scope and then reinstalled Alfred, but none of that has worked. Spotlight finds everything fine. I'm on a brand new MBP (got it today) so really don't know what I could have done to screw it up. Any ideas?

If you prefix your search with a spacebar to enter file search mode, are files and apps found? e.g. open Alfred and type

[spacebar]safari

This will let me know if there is something wrong with the app cache, or metadata file search.

Cheers,

Andrew

@TingTingBen That's not the problem, unfortunately. Everything in there is fine.

If you prefix your search with a spacebar to enter file search mode, are files and apps found? e.g. open Alfred and type

[spacebar]safari

This will let me know if there is something wrong with the app cache, or metadata file search.

Cheers,
Andrew

Yup, that works, although the application itself is often not the first on the list. For example, Photoshop is preceded by a dozen settings files.

I'm pleased to report everything is now working fine. I have absolutely no idea what fixed it. I haven't touched Alfred since I tried the [space]appname thing you suggested, but somehow it's now back to normal.

Do you have any idea what happened? The metadata wasn't rebuilding in the background, AFAIK.

I have this exact same problem, and it existed before 10.9. I'm not sure what is causing it, bit its really frustrating when alfred is suppose to speed things up.

Could you try something for me - try renaming aperture to something else e.g. 'banana', then type 'reload' into Alfred. Wait a few moments, then search to see if it is found. If so, rename it back to 'Aperture', type reload and wait… then try again

ok, so a reload now finds aperture.  i had the same issue with lots of different ones, so i tried to find VLC, no go, renamed to banana, and reload, and then it finds it.

then renamed back to VLC, and it shows up. It eventually will find it, but it takes about 10 seconds.

ok, so a reload now finds aperture.  i had the same issue with lots of different ones, so i tried to find VLC, no go, renamed to banana, and reload, and then it finds it.

then renamed back to VLC, and it shows up. It eventually will find it, but it takes about 10 seconds.

This is indicative of a metadata issue in OS X… it might be worth doing a low level reindex:

http://skillzdesign.com/blog/clarifies/forcing-spotlight-reindexing-using-terminal/