[Fixed] Scratch Files and Thoughts

Now available for download here, a workflow version of the extension I used more than any other. It just adds plain text to a scratch file, but I've updated it a bit to work with Alfred's feedback system. No more editing the workflow by hand to set the file path, and no more installing the workflow multiple times with multiple keywords to use multiple files! Just install it, then enter "scratch" to get started.

Screen%20Shot.png

In a similar vein, but with a little less effort on the user's part called for, is the Thoughts workflow. It records a simple thought, then copies old thoughts to the clipboard or forgets them. The basic principle is the same, but the data isn't quite as portable or readable as a basic text file. Get it at the link above or via AlfPT.

Screen%20Shot.png

Now that I've realized that the size of the files was an error on my part, they'll be added to AlfPT shortly.

Edited by phyllisstein
What a great idea! Look forward to trying it out. (On mobile right now.) (Plus it gives me an idea for a workflow of my own ;) )

Thanks! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

What theme are you using? I like it very much.

It's called Native, and it's available in the themes forum.

Cool, saves me the trouble of porting my very simple Scratch File extension from v1 :)

P.S. Love the wallpaper mate.. ;)

Hah, that was yours? Thank you for that—I seriously used it more than any other extension; had it installed like five times over, once for a vocab list, once for a projects list, once for a general-purpose list, etc. I think your `sed` command is still the real workhorse of this guy.

Also, thanks! Wish I could take any kind of credit for that, either. :-)

Hah, that was yours? Thank you for that—I seriously used it more than any other extension; had it installed like five times over, once for a vocab list, once for a projects list, once for a general-purpose list, etc. I think your `sed` command is still the real workhorse of this guy.

Also, thanks! Wish I could take any kind of credit for that, either. :-)

Cool, I'm always happy when others find something I created to scratch an itch (pun intended) useful! :)

And this port is beautifully done. No need to have multiple instances, of the workflow..

This is one workflow that is going to make it into my Alfred vs. Launchbar series on Mac.AppStorm ;) Poor launchbar, it's gonna get it's ass kicked...

Edited by Pedro Lobo

Hmm, I'm having trouble installing this. It's just hanging my Alfred Preferences panel, and I have to force-quit it. I see that workflow file is over 1MB, so I assume it's going to take longer to install than others, but I've waited a while now. I'm trying this on OS X Lion, I'll have another go on my Mountain Lion system when I get home tonight and let you know if that's any better.

Hmm, I'm having trouble installing this. It's just hanging my Alfred Preferences panel, and I have to force-quit it. I see that workflow file is over 1MB, so I assume it's going to take longer to install than others, but I've waited a while now. I'm trying this on OS X Lion, I'll have another go on my Mountain Lion system when I get home tonight and let you know if that's any better.

The file is a bit large, but not all that large—unzipping it shouldn't take a fraction of a second. I'm admit I'm puzzled. Let me know how it works on ML, though, and we'll go from there.

Yep, it loaded fine on my ML laptop at home. Weird. :unsure:

That's very strange! I've uploaded new and smaller versions—I was too dumb to delete the hidden git folder before zipping the workflows—so maybe you'll have better luck with those. The links in the first post have been changed, and they'll also be in AlfPT shortly.

• 2 months later...

Hey all,

I've just updated the Thoughts workflow a bit to use alp's fuzzy-matching feature and to be a bit simpler to use. Now you can just enter think followed by a query to list, search, and add thoughts, action the individual items to copy them to the Clipboard, and hold down ⌘ while actioning to delete them. Enjoy!

Image%202013-04-18%20at%205.26.51%20a.pn