How do I open a Folder, not a file

I opened Alfred and hit 'op' to open something but it finds actual documents or emails and not Folders first == I want to work out a fast way to open a folder in my user folder, or attached drive, and this would do it other than it goes to a file instead.  Thanks much.

Victoria, there are several ways of doing this. Are you a Powerpack member? If you are, I can suggest several ways of doing this and then help you set it up based on the method you prefer.

Thanks so much...I am a Powerpack member == I would appreciate the help.  Victoria

not to mention the fact I need to learn more about how to use Alfred!   :)

Ok, so, as a Powerpack member, you have the ability to create workflows to handle things like this. So, depending on your exact needs, there are multiples ways this can be done.

If you are looking to search for a folder to find and open, and your are always going to be looking for a folder, then a good solution may be a Filter Filter workflow. This would allow you to search within specified areas, only for certain object types (folders). This would be actioned by a keyword or a hotkey, then you would provide the search term. The filter could also not specify a type and it would then search all types.

If you are wanting to always open a specified folder (or set of folders or files), you could use a hotkey or keyword to open those specifically.

Another alternative would be to find the root folder, then browse it in Alfred and search and navigate through it. This would allow you to see all the files easily and navigate through the file structure, or.. select one and open it directly.

All this being said, could you provide a little more detail about what you are trying to do and we'll narrow this down and find the best solution for your needs.

Thanks much...I am not skilled at creating workflows but it does make sense to me, a bit.  What I was trying to do was open the Documents folder in my User folder...but it could as well be Pictures or some other...I guess I'd like to be able in Alfred to either hit an abbreviation or hotkey and maybe the name of the folder [or part thereof - I use HoudahSpot for this purpose now but Alfred would probably be easier] -- i.e.  op Docu....etc would open the folder not any document named Docu....

Thanks much...I am not skilled at creating workflows but it does make sense to me, a bit.  What I was trying to do was open the Documents folder in my User folder...but it could as well be Pictures or some other...I guess I'd like to be able in Alfred to either hit an abbreviation or hotkey and maybe the name of the folder [or part thereof - I use HoudahSpot for this purpose now but Alfred would probably be easier] -- i.e.  op Docu....etc would open the folder not any document named Docu....

I believe a File Filter workflow is what you are looking for. I've created one that should fill most of your needs. Try it out and if it needs a little tweaking, we'll work that out.

Download

The keyword is currently set to "op". Let me know how this works for you.