Trouble creating a 'Glass cockpit' for Elite: Dangerous

I had a thought that using the Remote app on my iPad I could create a version of a Glass Cockpit for use in Elite: Dangerous but I seem to be having issues right at the start.

I've created a simple screen with tiles on the remote mapped to single button presses, and then mapped those button presses in game to functions.

With the screen open and my Mac running Sublime text I can press the Comms tile and the letter c appears in the editor. With Elite running I press c on my normal keyboard and theComms panel appears. But if I press the Comms tile on the remote nothing happens.

I had intended to start with basics and then see if I could build some macros to perform things like takeoffs (short upwards thruster blast, landing gear up, landing lights off - that kind of thing) but if I can't get single button presses to work I can't begin to think about that.

Is there any kind of debugging I can access to try and find out what's going on here? (or have I missed something blindingly obvious?)

This is just a guess, but it's possible that Elite (and other games) don't use the native OS X input libraries (which things like Alfred-generated keypresses use).

The game engine is probably hooking into your keyboard input at a lower (or at least different) level.

You'd probably need something that works like a virtual keyboard (i.e. it looks like a USB device) to emulate keypresses in games.

well having had a look around I've discovered that Elite is apparently built on top of Mono ( http://www.mono-project.com ),a "Cross platform, open source .NET framework" so it's entirely possible you're correct. I've tried setting the controls in Elite using the inputs from Remote but they're just not being picked up.

Guess I'll have to see if I can find the Mono logs and have a dig about...if what you say is true perhaps I can have Alfred fire a script that simulates the key presses at that lower level, but I have no idea where to start with that one...

OK, so in the OSX accessibility options there something called Switch Control ( https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18393?locale=en_US ) that allows you to configure other devices to do things like tap keys...I'll give this a go to see if I can write an Applescript to interact with Switch Control. If I can I can have Remote fire that script. Think I'll probably test that Elite talks to Switch Control first though :-)