⌘Return to reveal files in Finder randomly fails

Sometimes when I press ⌘Return to reveal a file in the Finder, nothing happens. I’m having trouble finding a pattern.

Hi Jack,

A couple of things to check...

1. Have you tried restarting your Mac to make sure it's not just OS X misbehaving a little?

2. Do you use a third-party Finder replacement? If so, it's possible that OS X is unable to clearly identify which Finder to reveal the files in. You may need to unset and re-set your Finder replacement so that OS X knows to use that.

3. It might sound silly, but if you have multiple screens, check it's not opening on the wrong screen.

Let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,

Vero

Hi Jack,

A couple of things to check...

1. Have you tried restarting your Mac to make sure it's not just OS X misbehaving a little?

2. Do you use a third-party Finder replacement? If so, it's possible that OS X is unable to clearly identify which Finder to reveal the files in. You may need to unset and re-set your Finder replacement so that OS X knows to use that.

3. It might sound silly, but if you have multiple screens, check it's not opening on the wrong screen.

Let me know how you get on :)

Cheers,

Vero

Thanks, Vero. No third-party Finder replacement and only one screen. Just restarted and have my fingers crossed. Thanks!

Thanks. Nothing new appears in the Console when it is occurring.

Could you please create a new account on your Mac and try to replicate the issue there? There may very well be a Finder configuration corruption issue on your main profile.

I've tried to replicate this issue and haven't been able to - Alfred uses a very simple API call to reveal files in Finder, and it's not an issue that's been reported by other users, which leads me to the conclusion above about likely corruption.