Overwrite Existing File during Move and Copy

mikedvzo

Andrew - I know I brought this up well over a year ago with Alfred 1.0.   When copying and moving files it is a real pain that the action does not occur and there is no warning when trying to overwrite an existing file.  Is there any plan to fix this behavior in 2.0?  

Andrew - I know I brought this up well over a year ago with Alfred 1.0.   When copying and moving files it is a real pain that the action does not occur and there is no warning when trying to overwrite an existing file.  Is there any plan to fix this behavior in 2.0?  

Overhauling the file interactions is still in the plan, however, I have to prioritise fixes and improvements in Alfred which is why I kept your previous two forum posts on this and moved them into the noted section.

This is essentially a limitation in Finder's AppleScript interface where you can either replace or not replace; Either way, Finder doesn't show the warning message to overwrite. At this point, Alfred doesn't use the AppleScript "with replacing" option to prevent accidental data loss.

This is a similar issue here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12708195/i-am-trying-to-tell-finder-to-move-files-with-applescript-but-i-dont-know-how

The issue will go away when I create a bespoke mechanism for copying / moving files without using Finder, which isn't a simple task, hence it being planned for a major milestone rather than a maintenance release.

[moving to noted]