Snippets Reformat Paragraphs in Microsoft Word

Hi, @Eukaryote, welcome to the forum!

Snippet expansion works exactly as expected for me with Word 15.32/Alfred 3.6.1/macOS 10.12.6. Which versions of what are you using?

Can you be more precise, or better yet, upload a test document that has the issue (and post a link here) and describe which snippet to expand where?

Alfred snippets are plaintext-only, so I suspect it is some bad interaction with your Word document formatting. In fact, I often use Alfred to avoid formatting issues, as most apps automatically give plaintext the same format as what it's pasted next to.

But MS Word has always been a bit special.

Thanks for the response! I really appreciate it! 

I'm using Word 16.11.1, (build 180319)/Alfred 3.6 [903], and macOS 10.13.4. 

I am attaching a template that I use when I'm drafting pleadings, and I included an explanation. 

I should have pointed out in my original post that it's also likely an automatic numbering issue, which definitely causes all kinds of issues! 

In thinking about this more, is there a way that you can have a snippet trigger a workflow that "copies text only" and "doesn't merge list when copying" into Word? 

I've uploaded a bare-bones copy of my template to dropbox, which can be accessed here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctbidxpf2ygifav/Test Document.docx?dl=0

Thanks again for your help! 

I am attaching a template that I use when I'm drafting pleadings, and I included an explanation. 

I should have pointed out in my original post that it's also likely an automatic numbering issue, which definitely causes all kinds of issues! 

In thinking about this more, is there a way that you can have a snippet trigger a workflow that "copies text only" and "doesn't merge list when copying" into Word? 

I've uploaded a bare-bones copy of my template to dropbox, which can be accessed here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ctbidxpf2ygifav/Test Document.docx?dl=0

UPDATE: I tested out a few options. When I copy into word, it pops up with the "paste" menu, which gives four options: 1) Keep source formatting; 2) Use Destination Theme; 3) Match Destination Formatting; and 4) Keep Text Only. 

When I copy in text from another source without Alfred, if I select 'keep text only,' it does the same thing. So I know that Word is the culprit, at least. 

As best as I can tell, Word is behaving exactly as it's supposed to. If you expand a snippet/paste text, each newline gives you a new list item in Word.

You are expanding the snippet in a paragraph that already has a number (in Word), right? A single-line snippet shouldn't mess up Word's numbering provided the paragraph is already correctly numbered.

2 minutes ago, Eukaryote said:

is there a way that you can have a snippet trigger a workflow that "copies text only" and "doesn't merge list when copying" into Word?

The question doesn't really make sense. The way Word handles snippets/pasted text is entirely down to Word. Other applications cannot influence Word's behaviour via the clipboard.

FWIW, Word doesn't merge lists. If you expand/paste plaintext into an existing list, each newline will create a new list item. If you expand/paste in a normal text paragraph, each newline creates a new paragraph.

• 2 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 2:31 PM, Eukaryote said:

Im writing a memorandum of argument and am trying to hotkey italicized ibid, supra, infra, footnote, etc. (as well as court paragraph formatting requirements).... the struggle is real