How to make Alfred launch Anaconda Navigator

Hi, all,

I'm an enthusiastic user of Alfred 3.7 + PowerPack (best bucks ever spent for a Mac software ???). It revolutionized my workflow! I use the mouse much less now ? There is just one thing I'd like to fix. I would like to use Alfred to launch Anaconda Navigator (the app with the green icon below):

image.png.e602356b39af5161693cadaba6641ad6.png

However, apparently the Anaconda 5.3 installer only created a link to the Anaconda Navigator app in the Applications folder, not the actual app (or so I think...the installation process is very long so I don't dare installing again). It looks like Alfred doesn't open apps which are only linkedin the Application folder. I could just add he folder where Anaconda-Navigator is actually installed, to the Search Scope. However, this folder is...colossal:

image.png.4b382ed514664587b120637450f9d509.png

10.86 GB and > 280000 files (!!!). Now, if I add /anaconda2/ to the Search Scope, does Alfred index only the contents of the folder /anaconda2/ (good), or the contents of all its subfolders (bad)? In the second case, I'm worried that adding such a huge number of files it to Alfred will slow it down a lot. What should I do? I made a test, and it seems to work fine, but I just want to be sure I did the right thing. Thanks

Andrea

5 hours ago, Andrea said:

adding such a huge number of files it to Alfred will slow it down a lot

It won't slow Alfred down. It might give you a load of irrelevant results, however, depending on which file types you have selected in Alfred Preferences and how many of those types of files are in that directory.

5 hours ago, Andrea said:

What should I do?

If you don't want to add the Anaconda directory to your default scope, create a workflow with Keyword "anaconda" that launches the application.

34 minutes ago, deanishe said:

It won't slow Alfred down. It might give you a load of irrelevant results, however, depending on which file types you have selected in Alfred Preferences and how many of those types of files are in that directory.

I haven't added any custom file type to the default ones, in Alfred Preferences. For "files in the directory", do you mean only the files in the top-level directory anaconda2/ (just the 4 files shown in the picture) or also all those in the various  subfolders (about 280000 files)?

If you don't want to add the Anaconda directory to your default scope, create a workflow with Keyword "anaconda" that launches the application.

Nice suggestion! Is it easy to create workflows? I'm a total beginner, until now I just used the default ones, and one downloaded from Packal. I don't have my Mac now, but tomorrow I'll test your idea.

Edited by Andrea
10 hours ago, Andrea said:

Is it easy to create workflows?

The workflow @deanishe suggests is wonderfully simple, and a great place to start - you'll see workflows aren't scary at all :) 

1. Go to the Workflows tab, click the [+] at the bottom of the sidebar and choose Templates > Files and Apps > Launch File Group from Keyword.
  2. Give it a name, and click "Create"
  3. Double-click the keyword and set it to "anaconda", and give it the title "Launch Anaconda" for example. Save that.
  4. Double-click the "Launch Apps" object. Drag in your Anaconda application, and hit save.

Now just pop up Alfred and use the newly created keyword to launch the app! Well done, you've created your first workflow.

Cheers,
Vero

• 1 year later...