Accent matching search

Lyrrad

Hi,

I often do Contact searches using Alfred.  Some of my contacts have accents in their name, (e.g. José), However, when I type in "Jose" it stops matching.  Would it be possible to have support for accent matching if the unaccented character is typed?

Hi,

I often do Contact searches using Alfred.  Some of my contacts have accents in their name, (e.g. José), However, when I type in "Jose" it stops matching.  Would it be possible to have support for accent matching if the unaccented character is typed?

Alfred v2 switched to using OS X's contacts API which seemingly doesn't support diacritic insensitive searching. I'm currently looking into the options, but this will pretty much be sorted at some point.

As a work around for now, Alfred also searches the phonetic fields and nickname, so you could put in the non accented names in one of those fields.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wouldn't it be easier to learn how to input diacritics with OS X? It's trivially easy, after all.

By default, if you just hold down the E key for a second, all the available accented variations pop up, like on iOS. If that's too slow for you, hit ALT+e (lowercase) to get the accent, then E again.

I have a *lot* of contacts whose names contain diacritics, and it's honestly never occurred to me to type "jurgen" instead of "jürgen".

Then again, perhaps that's precisely because I have a lot of contacts with diacritics in their names.  It would be a lot of work to give 'em all nicknames.