Open an app directly in splitview

Hello,

I would like to write a Workflow to open an app directly in Split View. Typically, I would use this workflow when I am already using an app in fullscreen, and want to open another one next to it. 

For example, I am reading a pdf with PdfExpert and I would like to open Bear on the side to write a note, or my messagerie app. 

Do you think this is feasible? Where should I start?

Thanks for your help.

8 minutes ago, raphaelhuleux said:

Where should I start?

With AppleScript/JXA to resize windows. You might be better off looking at something like Hammerspoon, which is designed for manipulating windows.

The only thing Alfred can really do for you here is run the applications and your resize script.

I think two resized windows next to each other is all you're going to get if you want to automate it. There is no programmatic way to turn Split View on/off AFAIK.

Is it even possible to put another app on the same desktop as a fullscreen one?

19 hours ago, raphaelhuleux said:

I think it’s crazy that Mac OS doesn’t offer this option by default!

Welcome to Tim Cook’s Apple, where money is above user agency. Automators need not apply, and will get the boot. But if you want to shove ads in the OS or be a penny pincher, you’ll be received with open arms.

Don’t tell us that you think it’s crazy that macOS doesn’t provide programatic ways to achieve those tasks, we agree! Tell Apple instead: open Alfred, look for Feedback Assistant, and open that app. Use it to file a report with Apple; it won’t take more than a few minutes. I doubt they’ll do anything about it, but Apple engineers say the more reports an issue gets, the likelier it is it will get looked at.

On 3/27/2020 at 11:33 AM, deanishe said:

I think two resized windows next to each other is all you're going to get if you want to automate it. There is no programmatic way to turn Split View on/off AFAIK.

Is it even possible to put another app on the same desktop as a fullscreen one?

It is. There are a couple ways that I know of.

The first one depends on our settings. If I have a full-screen app going I can go find the other app I want on that screen, click its top window handle and hold, then command-uparrow to see my desktops. Then I just drag it to the window and it will split the screen between them.

The other way is to click and hold the full screen button on the app's window bar. This lets you pick a side to put it on, then click any other app on that desktop and it will split between them.

In either case, you can drag the bar between the windows to divvy up how much screen each gets. And you can only do this with two windows.

As to doing it programmatically, I've never tried that and I suspect you can't. But it is possible otherwise.

15 hours ago, TheRealBill said:

to see my desktops. Then I just drag it to the window and it will split the screen between them

Ah, right. I'd never tried dragging a second window to a fullscreen desktop. Thanks.

The other way is to click and hold the full screen button on the app's window bar. This lets you pick a side to put it on, then click any other app on that desktop and it will split between them.

I know about this one. But that doesn't work when the app is already in fullscreen.

As to doing it programmatically, I've never tried that and I suspect you can't.

And that's what you're asking how to do here. That's why I say the closest thing you're going to get is probably two resized normal windows.

It's technically possible to automate all the clicking and dragging to put two apps side-by-side on a fullscreen desktop, but practically speaking, it's not going to work most of the time.

• 2 years later...
On 3/27/2020 at 9:22 PM, raphaelhuleux said:

Hello,

I would like to write a Workflow to open an app directly in Split View. Typically, I would use this workflow when I am already using an app in fullscreen, and want to open another one next to it. 

For example, I am reading a pdf with PdfExpert and I would like to open Bear on the side to write a note, or my messagerie app. 

Do you think this is feasible? Where should I start?

Thanks for your help.

Any update on this based on new automation tasks available in Alfred 5? @vitor - kindly suggest

My goal / objective : open two files say one word and other video file from finder using universal action and select "Open in split view"

regards.