Pinboard Search (beta?)

…I keep forgetting to say. When I first use the workflow it takes about 20 seconds until it shows any results. If I do another search straight after the first one the results appear straight away. It feels as though if I haven't used the search for a while it has to load the database or something before it can show the search results.

Does anyone else have this problem?

It does sync the bookmarks from Pinboard before every search, but not more frequently than every 5 minutes. That sync takes about 1-2 seconds for me (~350 bookmarks). I tried to make it refresh in the background but I'm not very good at the alfred interaction part yet.. Would be great if David would take another look at it.  :) For me it's ok to wait a few seconds, but 20 seconds is a bit much, I agree.

Mine took few seconds to return anything, yes.

Now though, subsequent searches show nothing, unless I delete last char from search value;

i.e.

pb test - nothing

pb tes - results

I don't have that behaviour.

But I modded alot of things already (like show recently added bookmarks if no search term is entered), so it could be that I "accidently" fixed it.  :lol: On the other hand I can't remember seeing this at any time.

It does sync the bookmarks from Pinboard before every search, but not more frequently than every 5 minutes. That sync takes about 1-2 seconds for me (~350 bookmarks). I tried to make it refresh in the background but I'm not very good at the alfred interaction part yet.. Would be great if David would take another look at it.  :) For me it's ok to wait a few seconds, but 20 seconds is a bit much, I agree.

I don't have that behaviour.

But I modded alot of things already (like show recently added bookmarks if no search term is entered), so it could be that I "accidently" fixed it.  :lol: On the other hand I can't remember seeing this at any time.

I have a few thousand bookmarks, so I guess it makes sense why it takes so long to refresh mine. So it would be ideal if it could auto refresh every now and then in the future.

I have a few thousand bookmarks, so I guess it makes sense why it takes so long to refresh mine. So it would be ideal if it could auto refresh every now and then in the future.

I've been working on an update to this that would fetch changed items and sync JUST updates occasionally instead of having to fetch all. I just haven't had time to finish it. I doubt you guys have noticed but we've been a little busy :)

I've been working on an update to this that would fetch changed items and sync JUST updates occasionally instead of having to fetch all. I just haven't had time to finish it. I doubt you guys have noticed but we've been a little busy :)

Yea, I've noticed  :P

I'll wait patiently. Much appreciated in advance.

I'd really be interested in the concept you have for this. As I see from the Pinboard API, it allows you to fetch bookmarks that were added after a specific date/time, but to identify modified (older) bookmarks you'd still have to fetch all. The change detection meta-field seems to be available only in "all". Or am I missing something?  :)

Edited by Luzzifus

I'd really be interested in the concept you have for this. As I see from the Pinboard API, it allows you to fetch bookmarks added after a specific date/time, but to identify modified bookmarks you'd still have to fetch all. Or am I missing something?  :)

Maciej said the pinboard API might be getting an overhaul soon (and that he might start charging devs for API access) - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/pinboard-dev/PidYOmyBaxI

As part of that overhaul, he'd like to make it easier to get bookmarks changed since `date`. 

Maciej said the pinboard API might be getting an overhaul soon (and that he might start charging devs for API access) - https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/pinboard-dev/PidYOmyBaxI

As part of that overhaul, he'd like to make it easier to get bookmarks changed since `date`. 

That's going to be bad if he starts charging for it. I don't even use Pinboard now. I had several users convince him to give me an account just to be able to create something for Alfred a while back. He may not be so generous next time.

I (kinda) fixed the waiting times. What I did was to separate the update (=sync) functions from the search script and run it parallel to the open command. So it runs after every search (but still not more frequently than once every 5 minutes), which makes searching instant. The one case where you could miss a recently added bookmark is if you didn't perform any bookmark search with Alfred since. For this case, I also added an update command to manually sync (which also obeys the 5 minute rule of course).

pinboard-workfloww4s3z.png

Now I'm not sure how I can share the workflow with you, since it is Davids topic and still mostly his work. May I post it here? Or in a new thread (giving full credit of course)? Or not at all?  :wacko: David, tell me.

Edited by Luzzifus

I (kinda) fixed the waiting times. What I did was to separate the update (=sync) functions from the search script and run it parallel to the open command. So it runs after every search (but still not more frequently than once every 5 minutes), which makes searching instant. The one case where you could miss a recently added bookmark is if you didn't perform any bookmark search with Alfred since. For this case, I also added an update command to manually sync (which also obeys the 5 minute rule of course).

pinboard-workfloww4s3z.png

Now I'm not sure how I can share the workflow with you, since it is Davids topic and still mostly his work. May I post it here? Or in a new thread (giving full credit of course)? Or not at all?  :wacko: David, tell me.

I would be interested in seeing this version!

And also a guide on what to do with modified version of other peoples work would be great;

I migrated all my v1 extensions to v2 workflows, copying each element manually.  I didnt want to add the original author as creator, as it wasnt them that produced this version (and they obviously wouldnt want to be blamed for any errors I made), so have put their details in the ReadMe section.

Can (should) I release them on here, and if so do I mark them as mine, with credit to original author, or put them as creator?