Will Snippets work in RDP?

@PizzaGuyRidesAtDawn Welcome to the forum!

Are you logging in remotely into a macOS or Windows machine? There are quite a few factors to take into account, so given you're already a Powerpack user, have you simply tried to see if snippets work in your Remote Desktop scenario?

If you can provide more details about your particular setup, what has and hasn't worked so far, it'll be a lot easier for us to help you out :)

Cheers,
Vero

@PizzaGuyRidesAtDawn There are a few ways to work with the fact that you're using Windows. You're correct that pasting assumes Cmd + V will paste the current pasteboard content.

The simplest way to deal with this is to pop up Alfred's Snippets Viewer, choose your snippet and use Cmd + C to copy it to your clipboard, then Ctrl + V to paste to your VM. 

I'm not familiar with Remote Desktop, but here are some steps I gave to a Parallels user some time ago, much of which would apply here:

1. Set your VM to use Cmd + V to paste clipboard contents. Alfred relies on this to paste the snippet content after removing the keyword.
2. In Alfred's Appearance > Options (bottom left of the sidebar), choose Focusing: Compatibility Mode.
3. In Features > Snippets > Auto Expansion Options > Tweaking, set the simulated key event speed to be at the slowest.

This should allow the snippets to work even in your Windows VM. Once you've got this working, you can try speeding up key events again, and possibly returning the focusing to Standard Mode.

However, this comes with the caveat that I do not have access to Remote Desktop to test it, so you'll likely need to fiddle around a little with your VM.

If all else fails, copying from the Snippet/Clipboard Viewer option will be your best option.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Vero

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread, but I am running into an issue with Alfred snippets simply showing "v" in a Citrix Viewer remote desktop. I have checked the keyboard settings in Citrix and they are correct (using command for control key) and command+v operates properly to paste text in Notepad. However, when I type a snippet, e.g. "gm" for 'Good morning' I get the snippet sound and my "gm" is replaced by 'v'. 

I do not see where to set the behavior to type instead of paste. I have my appearance set to compatibility mode. Not sure what else to do. Any thoughts?

• 8 months later...
On 7/31/2023 at 3:34 PM, C-Dub said:

Sorry for resurrecting this ancient thread, but I am running into an issue with Alfred snippets simply showing "v" in a Citrix Viewer remote desktop. I have checked the keyboard settings in Citrix and they are correct (using command for control key) and command+v operates properly to paste text in Notepad. However, when I type a snippet, e.g. "gm" for 'Good morning' I get the snippet sound and my "gm" is replaced by 'v'. 

I do not see where to set the behavior to type instead of paste. I have my appearance set to compatibility mode. Not sure what else to do. Any thoughts?

I have this problem too. :( Any solution for this?

I want to use autoexpand feature in Microsoft Windows Remote machine

Edited by M3NT1

@M3NT1 My reply a few posts above is the closest thing we can suggest; It seemed to work for the user I was helping at the time, so you'll need to look at your Mac > Windows configuration.

If you can get the Windows/Remote Desktop to accept Cmd + V as a paste of your Mac clipboard into Windows, you should be able to do this.

1 hour ago, Vero said:

@M3NT1 My reply a few posts above is the closest thing we can suggest; It seemed to work for the user I was helping at the time, so you'll need to look at your Mac > Windows configuration.

If you can get the Windows/Remote Desktop to accept Cmd + V as a paste of your Mac clipboard into Windows, you should be able to do this.

image.png.4301288f9e3d9155db6f1e843ed258d9.png

image.png.d801f294b34627a2596e1130035f0855.png

image.png.dc269befb5fa858660b2aadc713ba347.png

@M3NT1 Using Alfred's Snippets in Windows/VMs isn't officially supported; I'm providing suggestions based on what I know of remote desktop software, and informal reports from other users with a similar setup to yours who have said it worked for them over the years.

You'll need to either experiment with your configuration, or use the workaround I mentioned (copying from the Clipboard and using Ctrl + V in Windows to paste) but this isn't something I'm able to walk you through as we don't use Windows Remote Desktops.

Cheers,
Vero