Ability to duplicate an exiting Web Search entry

pavan309

• 4 months later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:59 AM, Vero said:

@pavan309 While it's not possible to duplicate a default web search, if you use it once, you'll see it in your browser and be able to take it from there.

Let us know if you need help with a specific custom search :)

Cheers,
Vero

Hey Vero, what do you mean by "if you use it once, you'll see it in your browser and be able to take it from there"?
I'm also needing an updated similar to this. 

I'm setting web search for my several JIRA projects, so I can just write the project key and the number and it will take me to the issue page. Problem is that in order to create a web search of each project, I have to create everything manually. 

In fact, I haven't created web search for all my JIRA projects because it's too much work to configure each search individually, specially only when 3 letters change on the entire settings.

Duplicating would allow to save a lot of time, specially in the case of similar search parameters, like in JIRA's case.

Cheers,

Geiras

@geiras In this user's case, they wanted to use a URL very similar to the original web search, so performing a web search allowed them to find out the basic URL structure.

If you want to easily duplicate searches, your best bet is to create a workflow containing all your Jira-related searches, as you'll then be able to either use a single object or duplicate objects as needed.

Let us know if you need any help :) 

Cheers,
Vero

• 2 years later...

Since this is a Feature Request channel and not a support channel, I'm going to lean into the Request aspect of the original post. I really like Web Searches. I make a lot of them. I even overload them to give myself variations on a search to choose from. For example, when I search for a place, I can either

* Search my YouTrack board and have the results appear in a kanban, or

* Search YouTrack issues and have the results appear as a task list.

There's a lot that's the same: same keyword, same image, slight alteration of the URL, slight alteration of the Title. It would be great if I could duplicate all of that instead of having to manually recreate it. 

Possible solutions:

• Right click a Web Search row to Duplicate, or
  • Duplicate Search button next to Add Custom Search.

By the way, this would solve another problem, which is that novice users may find it difficult to build customer searches for lack of good examples. If a user could duplicate a built-in web search, they could see how they're built and modify them without breaking the original.

@Merchako If you have a whole set of YouTrack custom searches to create, I'd suggest using a workflow, as you can then manipulate and duplicate your Open URL object as much as needed. It'll be a better way to group your multiple URLs, as well as make it easier to share / distribute your workflow if it's something that might be useful to a colleague or friend.

Alternatively, if you prefer to use Custom Searches: as YouTrack isn't a default web search, I assume you're referring to custom web searches you've created? You can use the "Copy URL for sharing" button in the bottom left of the custom search - Once you've done this, it'll be in your Alfred Clipboard History, ready to be modified for the next custom search you need to set up.

image.png

If you need any further help creating custom workflows / searches, let us know! :) 

Cheers,
Vero

• 7 months later...

Came here looking to request the same 'duplicate custom search' feature; seems there are a number of similar feature requests wanting to be able to duplicate custom web search entries within the Alfred UI (without resorting to workarounds such as the copying/manually modifying the share URL + manually re-adding the image back to it again afterwards) :